• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow nice, I still hit myself in the head regularly. :lol:

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

GrimHydra,

There's no assistant instructor to teach you while your instructor's on vacation? Bravo for having the foresight to continue while your instructor's out of pocket; very positive...way to be training!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...
Im glad to say I've got me a bo staff and am doing stuff online with youtube, for the instructor is on vacation for another week! Its really fun and I only hit myself in the neck once haha.

If any of the Utube Bo vids stick out let me know! The ones I've been paying close attention too are the "Martial Art Bo Staff Tech" That guy has some good tips for tricks. I too am only just starting out. Some luck with behind the neck, figure 8's, and hand/finger rolls. Good stuff! :D

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

I've had a bo but only recently started gathering good enough coordination to actually train with it other than the traditional bo form. :lol:

For instance tonight we did some cool stuff. I can almost figure 8 around my body. My right side is good and I can do a medium speed pass behind my back, but my left hand needs some coordination work. I dislocated my thumb a couple months ago, so sometimes the bo rolls over that thumb just right and ouch! :(

I worked with a very light wooden 6 foot bo tonight, I like it a lot better than my 5 foot graphite bo. :)

Look up some bo competitions too, some of the stuff you can eventually do with it is good inspiration. :karate:

I got hand rolls & figure eights pretty quickly (though of course they are not exactly fast). The behind the neck pass I've done hundreds of times....and I still only catch it half the time. When I practice weapons manipulations my instructor says I am trying too hard. Because the more times I drop it, the more I start putting my whole body into it, and it just makes it worse! :P

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I got hand rolls & figure eights pretty quickly (though of course they are not exactly fast). The behind the neck pass I've done hundreds of times....and I still only catch it half the time. When I practice weapons manipulations my instructor says I am trying too hard. Because the more times I drop it, the more I start putting my whole body into it, and it just makes it worse! :P

LOL thats too funny b/c I hear the same thing! After the first drop I get back with it and then try harder when I should be relaxing more. Funny how that works huh?

Just for a reference I use a 6' graphite tapered bo. Being 6'2" only seems to make sense.

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

• 1 month later...

I just got back from 10-day-seminar in Montenegro and there I have learned two bo katas. Bo Shodan and Bo Yodan. I havent mastered them yet, of course, but I think Im pretty good at them, especially bo shodan :)

Of course, I have bunch of bruises from hitting myself at hips and knees xD

Humans say the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Why? Do they think there's a

shortage of bad ones?

Karm'Luk P'an Ku, "The Joy of Lucidity" CY 8633 (Andromeda)