• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

continous sparring tourney's

IronFistKempo

Anybody know of any? the southeast USA would be ideal, but we can travel if we have to. I check online frequently but most promoter's don't include a scan of the flyer in the listing, and those that do seem to be only point style sparring.

Big plus if you guys know any that also have kickboxing divisions.

thanks! Hopefully I didn't post this on the wrong board.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know if you are looking into a particular style, but if you can find a TKD tourney using the Olympic or AAU rules, they spar continuously for 2 or 3 minutes, for 2 to 3 rounds. They should have regional tournaments and qualifiers in that area, so you could give it a look.

I don't know if you are looking into a particular style, but if you can find a TKD tourney using the Olympic or AAU rules, they spar continuously for 2 or 3 minutes, for 2 to 3 rounds. They should have regional tournaments and qualifiers in that area, so you could give it a look.

Is there any kind of online resource I can look at for those? Do they allow head punching in aau & Olympic?

The US Open in Orlando is one of the biggest martial arts expos in the US. Has continuous sparring as well as many other divisions. A few students from our school are getting ready to compete this year, I really want to go to compete as well but the fact that it falls on the weekend of July 4th makes that a bit of a bear...

Website is: http://www.usopen-karate.com/

Hope that helps!

Thanks, the open's a bit on the expensive side tho. I'd really like to find things a little more low key than that if I could. My mma guys get to fight about once a month if thy want too, I feel bad that my non fighters never really get to compete in striking unless they fight, & it's tuff to be an investment banker or a school teacher & explain your black eye.

I believe the big las vegas tournament has continuous (I really should know the name, the guy that runs it used to be my sensei :/)

I also remember there being one or two big tournaments in california that had it as well...I think one was in San Diego.

They might not be advertised, but if you look at devisions you may find many tournaments that have continuous. I seem to remember about 5 years back when I competed that most of the students in my school that spared did so continuously.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Wow, u guys are all being very helpful, thanks!

Still not finding much in the tn, al, ky area, so I may just bite the bullet & tell the guys they either gotta get in the ring or go for point style. I'm really only familiar with itf tkd style point sparring tho, any of the karate styles allow for face contact (face shield)?

Kyokushin (sp) might, you'd have to ask one of the members that practices it. It's a fairly hard contact style from what I know/have heard.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Kyokushin (sp) might, you'd have to ask one of the members that practices it. It's a fairly hard contact style from what I know/have heard.

Yes, it's bare knuckle full contact, but no head punches :(

However I've fought a few matches & it was 10x more punishing than my Thai fights. That said, mostly you'd have to go to NY or Cali for good kyokushin tourneys.

I wonder why more tourneys don't do continous? We tried at marty eubanks last tournament in bowling green but the turn out was really low in that division. Perhaps it's not as popular as I would imagine.

You may want to see if the US Sport Jujitsu still runs tourney's with continous contact. 2-2minute rounds. Looks like the World tourney will be in Florida, with the US Open, instead of South Carolina as usual.

Here's the website http://www.sportjujitsu.org/

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine