• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hardest Weapon to train with

Just wondering what weapon you guys think is the hardest to train with and why.

The weapon that's not understood and respected! After that, it's called...PRACTICE for the rest of your life.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tashida Yamashita was the best weapons man I ever saw the way he used the scicle and chain was the most difficult I have witnessed. The other would be a 3 sectional staff. I once saw a brown belt hit himself right between the eyes and right in the nutssss at the same time. I dont know what Master Po would have thought but Grasshopper was sure a hurtin.

sensei8 beat me on the answer. Pretty much any weapon is diffucult to learn wield. Even the most basic one can be hard to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to train with a wide variety of weapons, but out of the few I have trained with, I'd have to say the most difficult for me was the bong (long staff).

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

For me, I think the nunchaku have been the most difficult to deal with. When class ends at 9:30 pm and I'm all sweaty, I can't keep a hold of them, and they go flying. The most frustrating weapon I've learned to use is the bo. While in class, I toss a roll of packing tape up with the bo, then try to catch it as it falls. Not terribly successful, as I have the WORST depth perception and coordination when I throw the tape

Shaolin Kempo, 1st Dan (earned 3 July 2018 in China)

ITF Tae Kwon Do, 2nd Dan (earned 6 June 2009 in San Diego, CA)

Almost 20 years of martial arts training in total

For me, tonfa are incredibly difficult. Not only am I currently lacking in a substantial forearm muscle necessary to stop the weapon from wacking my elbow every time I swing it, but they feel very awkward to me. Weapons are supposed to be an extension of the body...but to me tonfa feel like wooden sticks with handles that I can't control. Practice, practice, practice.

"We do not do karate. We are karate." -Hanshi Doug Perry

For me, tonfa are incredibly difficult. Not only am I currently lacking in a substantial forearm muscle necessary to stop the weapon from wacking my elbow every time I swing it, but they feel very awkward to me. Weapons are supposed to be an extension of the body...but to me tonfa feel like wooden sticks with handles that I can't control. Practice, practice, practice.

For me, Tonfa training at the beginning wasn't fun because of my hands always being sweaty. The sweat acts like brakes on the toifa, therefore, it's hard to spin in any direction.

You'll get it, and just like you've already said..."Practice, practice, practice!"

:)

For the sweaty hands problem, you should look into some chalk powder to help with the gripping.

Brian,

I've thought about just that solution, but, I've got to go from thinking about it to actually doing it. Kind of the "out of sight, out of mind" thing for me.

Two minutes later...I'll forget what it was that I was going to get/do! Maybe I should go ahead and get that AARP card after all. Hehehehehhehehheheehehe

:P

Just regular dust might work for that too.. used to scuff my feet in the dust pile from sweeping before class so that I wouldn't blister, way back when I was doing regional and thus training barefoot.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia