Hardest Weapon to train with

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not huge into weapons normally assiciated with ma's. Knives, clubs, guns, pretty much. Anything else is pretty much confined to the "playing with" stage. Aside from my time in the SCA, but that's another topic.

Based on what I've seen and monkeyed with, I'd have to say any of the exotic chain-link weapons must be pretty difficult. I beaded myself with a weighted end of a mankriki (sp) once that ended by experimentaion phase with that.

I will assume you mean most difficult weapon to learn. I will also assume we are choosing between traditional martial arts weapons. So this would exclude guns, grenages, etc. Correct me if either of these is wrong.

For me, any flexible weapon is difficult to use. So the whip, chain, etc come to mind. But even more than that, I think the flexible jointed weapons are even more difficult because you have to learn to use the flexibility plus learn to use the solid areas as well. Then you have to learn to use them together. Of course I refer to the nunchaku and the sansetsukan (three sectioned staff).

I have spent the most time learning the nunchaku and it is very hard to control when going from one move to the next. It is even more challenging when you have one in each hand.

I have never used a sansetsukan but it looks like it would take a long time to learn. It's motions and versatility are similar to the nunchaku. But the added length from the middle section can be both a benefit and a burden to manage.

For me, it's definitely a tossup between these two.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I was about to relate something I'd been told... then I realized that it sounded pretty exceptionally wierd, even by my standards.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia