• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Time spent on kata

quinteros1963

Considering that during the early years of Goju students spent nearly a year or more learning one kata (this is what I've been told), what do you think is an acceptable time to spend learning a kata before moving on to a new one?

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on how often you're in the training hall, with your instructor or a senior there to guide you, and what level you're at in your art.

In Soo Bahk Do, the first three forms are basic, and I mean very basic, so much so that they're found in other arts. But they're a challenge for the white belt in terms of coordination, breathing, stance, etc., and are really the "baby steps" (the symbol for the basic [Ki Cho Il, E, and Sam Bu Hyungs] forms is actually a baby) that other forms are built on.

In my case, I attended twice a week, practiced them at home almost every day I wasn't in the training hall, and took my test after the earliest time allowed, three months. I was learning other things at the same time, so even though it appears that I studied a form or forms for three months, I had to share time with other responsibilities of my art.

As you move up the belt chain, the forms become more challenging, and if you're still keeping up on old forms, I can see spending six months on a new form, especially if you're learning new, non-form responsibilities in your art while reviewing the old ones, too.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Most schools nowadays are more about learning a few forms/kata per belt rank, so the days of learning one every few years is now gone. However, just because that's not how your school is doesn't mean that's how you should be. Sure, practice all the kata you know up to this point for your school, but choose one in particular you want to get great at and practice it much more than the others. I myself am doing that with Sanchin kata right now.

Jhoon Rhee stated in his books that each form would be performed a minimum of 300 times before being allowed to graduate for the next rank. But, I would think that quality of the reps would be as important as quantity.

I don't know that many schools put a minimum number on reps, or if it is hit in class at least once per night, if not more, and they watch progress and judge accordingly.

Also, I think that it is going to depend on the rank and skill of the performer, as to how much work they need in order to be allowed to progress.

Bottom line for me is, I can't really tell you what I think a minimum would be. Good question, though.

Depends what is meant by "learn". Learning the sequence of moves can take as little as one class but IMO learning the form itself should take forever. As you get better and gain more knowledge you can apply it to kata you have already "learnt". We have a form per belt level so typical time before introducing new ones for us is 3 - 6 months for colour belts.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I agree here with DWX-Knowledge of a form and mastery of it are two different things. A lifetime can be spent on a single pattern but I think that may put limitations on your experience in terms of applications, etc.

Your instructor should be your guide here-no two students learn at the same pace or in the same way.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I think the answer to this depends completely on the reason you're practicing kata.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think the answer to this depends completely on the reason you're practicing kata.

I can see what you are saying here. In some schools, forms can be just a curriculum requirement for testings. In other schools, a form can have much more focus above and beyond technical performance. If you learn a form, and then the bunkai, a form can take an indefinite amount of time to truly come to understand.

I have always emphasized understanding the bunkai and believe that most katas take about 3 months to learn at an acceptable level.

You should continue to work them. Some of the katas I have been doing for 7 or 8 years now, I find deeper meaning in. I will be working something else and draw a connection. So to say you truly understand kata...takes years. But for testing purposes - about 3 - 5 months.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com