• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side stepping

I agree with all your basic statements above. I just don't think a cross stepping motion is all that useful in combat. I'd like to th ink I apply the rest of the principles to other movements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I agree with all your basic statements above. I just don't think a cross stepping motion is all that useful in combat. I'd like to think I apply the rest of the principles to other movements.

While you might be correct concerning the effectiveness of a cross stepping motion, I tend to think that cross stepping motion is quite effective, especially in many Karate circles based on my previous post in this thread.

Also, cross stepping aides some power to ones side kick by moving the body towards the target providing the sine wave can be controlled.

Cross stepping can aide to close quarters by driving forward/side/back/angular/and the like. Uncomforable with the cross stepping? Afraid to trip over ones own foot? Then I say to those...stay away from it, don't fear it, but go with ones strengths.

I like to use every aspect of stepping because the more the merry...and I want to be merry!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I can see the step behind for the side kick if you throw that attack alot to close distance. I was under the impression we were talking about footwork as routine movement.

In that regard, it just seems like there is little that a cross step adds that a safer motion couldn't accomplish.

tallgeese,

I see that we agree that we agree. Different methodologies, yet, same results. I love it!!!!!! Yes, I too, was speaking of/about footwork as routine movement because without footwork there's no stepping motion...Tai Sabaki (whole body movement) is related to Ashi Sabaki (footwork) and Te Sabaki (handwork).

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here's an article from Black Belt magazine, July 1999, "The Secret to Success in Tang Soo Do Sparring."

http://books.google.com/books?id=uM4DAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq="world+tang+soo+do+association"&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#PPA32,M2

Joe posted this article in a different thread, but the thread discusses side-stepping as done by C.S. Kim of Tang Soo Do. I felt it pertinent to the coversation going on here. Enjoy, and thanks again, Joe! :)