• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right leg bias in TKD

Nice article on how in the Chang Hon forms the right leg is generally favoured as the kicking leg and how the right leg usually ends up doing the more difficult kicks:

http://www.itfeurope.org/NL2009-02-05.html

I've never really noticed it before, but perhaps thats because I'm right legged. My leg leg sucks for anything more difficult than roundhouse, side or front kick so aside from my lack of left leg practice, maybe the forms themselves are partly to blame because they don't make you train equally? Would be interesting to see if there is also a right hand bias too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone who's not born ambidextrous has the same problem. It's natural. Consistent non-dominant sided practice will fix it in a relatively short amount of time.

As far as technique and sparring are concerned I've always been a fan of my left. I think it's maybe because my right leg is dominant in terms of balance, making it easier to kick with the left. Who knows?

I've never analyzed my forms though, I'll do that tonight. :karate:

It might be designed around the idea that most people are right handed, and thus, rught footed for power. This lets you train predominatly with the side that you will be most likely to hit with and deleiver damage with.

But that's just a guess. If you fight left forward, it also lets you keep the power side of your kicks loaded for best results.

I would kind of fall along the lines of tallgeese's assumption, but be a bit more specific; the creators were likely right-legged, and thus, and perhaps accidentally, created the forms this way.

I thought that the article was very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. I thought the breakdowns of the number of kicks per leg, and then the difficulty ratings, were a nice touch.

I had never really thought about the mismatch. I did notice it in Choong Moo, but never put it together much more in the other forms.

That is one thing that I did like about the ATA forms, that they were designed to be symmetrical. A jump kick on one leg was usually done on the other leg. In some of the black belt forms, there was a difference, but only by one kick, usually.