• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Struggling with the basic basics

garrym

Can anyone point me in the direction of a full syllabus for a beginner? I do ok on the most obvious of commands but I really am screwing up combinations that should be easy.

Also, I never seem to select the appropriate stance.

What I resally need is a list of all the moves and stances that should relate to them!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best thing to do is to ask your instructor for a written list of the moves and explainations on how to perform them. He should be able to help you in every way possible.

These days instructors will modify curriculum slightly. That's what he's there for. So use your instructor as your main resource.

I just started also and have been practicing only for a month. It's difficult at first and I'm progressing slowly...keyword: slowly!

Start off slow and just keep going...no matter if you think you'll never get there...because you will get there!

Keep your head up bro, I'm with you!

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

I really am screwing up combinations that should be easy.

It's funny, but even though I've practiced forms and sparring combinations, when my teacher says it's "Ki Cho" time, meaning we form a line and she calls out combos (inside-outside block, reverse middle punch; double knifehand middle block in back stance, reverse spearhand strike), these moves that are practiced repeatedly have to be processed and don't always come out smooth as silk. What adds to it, for me, is that they're in Korean.

I don't know what martial art you're training in, but using my own art, Soo Bahk Do, as an example, you can go online and order books that have those moves in photo form. Sometimes just examining the photos and figuring out how they fit together (usually by remembering or writing down the combos that keep being called out) help for next class.

I don't know your belt level, Garry, though I'll guess white or just above it, but as you keep training, you might realize that these combos that are from forms you're already studying, or will discover that they'll come up next form.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Right. I also advise bringing a notebook to class and writing everything down as soon as you're able to get to the paper.

Practice outside of class... very, very slowly. Nope, even slower. No, slower still. Frustrating because you keep getting mixed up on parts you thought you knew when you move slow? Yep. Eat your veggies. Slower than that! =)

In any case, without knowing what art you do, we wouldn't be able to help anyways. After all, one of my basics is two different kinds of handstand! I have no clue what -your- basics are.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I agree that you should ask your instructor. Also, ask him if he recommends any reference material for you to pick up and read; I did that with my Aikido instructor. He pointed me in the right direction, and now I am off and running.

Also, lots of practice will make it clear in no time.

I agree with what has been said, go to your instructor and have him or she point you in the right direction. You can also look on line put curriculum and commands differs from style to style and school to school. So your best bet would be talk to your instructor. :karate:

I can second that writing down everything pays off dividends eventually. At the time, you may have no idea what the heck they mean, but sometime later you'll be looking back, read something, and it'll click just like that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a full syllabus for a beginner? I do ok on the most obvious of commands but I really am screwing up combinations that should be easy.

Also, I never seem to select the appropriate stance.

What I resally need is a list of all the moves and stances that should relate to them!

What style?

• 2 months later...