• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructors Alone at the Top

So what do you do to keep pushing your own skills when you’re “at the top” in your vicinity; how do you prepare yourself for the next rank if that’s your goal?

PRACTICE--PRACTICE--AND MORE PRACTICE! With an emphasis one the basics and kata DAILY!

As for how do I prepare for the next rank? Well...I don't worry about it. I got my shodan in 1978 and my yandan in 2004 and there has not been one time that I have actually trained for advancement. I practice my karate to the best of my ability as frequently, and accurately, as I can, and if a promotion happens..great. If not...no biggie.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would say to the person to find yourself another higher rank instructor SOMEHOW - from another school - out of state even, if you have to; to train from. Instructors NEED to train themselves to keep current, keep endurance and keep abreast of the changes and things going on in their art.

It might be difficult in certain situations for an instructor to find someone to train them, but you have to keep looking and do it. What happens when your students reach YOUR rank and want to continue? They certainly can't train a student for a rank level they themselves don't have. LOL

To this end, Tiger, I think that cross training can become a valuable tool, especially if you can't find someone higher ranked than yourself nearby in your style. Cross training can open your mind up to different ideas and ways of doing things, which facilitates the brain waves to start churning again. That is what I like about Aikido; it puts me completely back into beginner mode, and I haven't experienced that in a long time.

• 1 year later...
A white belt learns from and is pushed to attain higher rank by the higher ranked students, and so on – that’s the way it works. As the higher ranks thin out some of you may have found that there’s no one around to learn, practice, etc. the requirements for the next rank. Some of you may even have your own schools and may have been asked by a student, ‘Well I know where I get my instruction from, but what about you?’ So what do you do to keep pushing your own skills when you’re “at the top” in your vicinity; how do you prepare yourself for the next rank if that’s your goal?

Both in martial arts and Buddhism it has been my experience that we all need teachers, not only for learning and correction of techniques, but also for supervision of our own attitudes/actions. Psychologically speaking, we know that we all have blind spots. A qualified teacher is very important in pointing these out or bringing us to alternative perspectives that will be useful in correction/improvement. If we are to be optimal students, it is very helpful to have someone qualified to observe our performance, and able to challenge said performance.

For these reasons, I do suggest that all instructors have someone over them. If no suitable instructor can be found, I recommend being part of some community or organization which has quality standards and offers advice/interaction. Problem is, you have to be wary that you aren't joining an organization that just wants to sell you belts or certificates (most on the internet are like this, but there are a few good ones). I managed to find an instructor from Korea who was within driving distance, and accepting branch school members. He has quality standards, and isn't afraid to step on my toes with instruction. For me, this has made a great deal of difference, as I am able to test, obtain teaching advice, business advice, technical advice, etc.

We can also participate in forums like this where we can get advice, share our knowledge and receive opposing viewpoints, this can be very helpful to our improvement as well.

All things considered, I think it's important for the instructor to have an instructor for his own improvement, and also because it sends a very powerful message to the student - everyone can benefit from a teacher, and even the instructor is not an island. There is some manner of humility in that observation which can be a subtle help to the student's perception.

/\

Palms together in respect.