• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why did you chose the art you study?

Was there much thought? Did that teacher have a reputation and style you liked? Was there some particular aspect to the art you do that interested you more than the others?

I liked the floor myself; I don't like the idea of being knocked down and kicked. I spend too much time walking across dark parking lots covered in sheet ice to think that in any confrontation, i'll always be standing tall. I don't trust that anyone who would want to fight me is going to have the decency to walk over and climb on top of me if it happens, either. I looked for arts that would have answers to such a situation; mine is the only one of those I was able to actually find a teacher of without travelling long and far in search of some elusive master.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total chance. I wanted to take some form of self defense classes and the Shotokan class was the only one I could afford! I am very glad that I stumbled on that dojo- I developed a life long love for Shotokan.

Joi H.

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi

I really wanted to find something that would teach me to fight. I ended up in the only school in the town I grew up in when I was 16. Luckily, I got what I wanted. They had done a particularly neat demo that I had happened to see and it impressed me for sure and I thought I'd find what I was looking for. I did, and that shaped how I view ma's as a whole.

Well, it was the only school in town when I started TKD. I have liked it since, and have stuck with it.

I got into the Combat Hapkido when my current TKD instructor introduced it as a supplement to what we were doing in TKD. I have stuck with it.

I had heard about the Aikido club, and the highest rank student at our TKD school had gotten into it. When they had a free weekend seminar roll around, and went to check it out. I had a good time, and thought I would give it a serious look.

I didn't really choose TKD myself, my dad did. Someone he worked with used to train at the club and dad found out about it and I started lessons. Didn't have a clue what TKD was so went along to my first lesson with no idea of what to expect. Loved it though and have stuck with it since.

Tai Chi I only got to study for a couple of years. My mum wanted to go to these classes at a local community centre and asked if I wanted to go too. I wanted to broaden out a bit in MA, plus it was mother-daughter bonding time, so I went along. She still goes but I can't make the classes anymore.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I had my son in a karate school that was located in a gymnastic studio. I did not feel he was getting anything out of it, so I happen to stumble across a business card (in a hot dog shop) and check it out and sign my son up and later my husband and I join. Well a year later a couple of the sensei separated from that school and my family went with them to help establish their school and have been with them for 3 years now.

I picked Judo because it was simple. throw the guy down and/or pin. also, there is full resistance randori. something that is needed in my MA training. no 1 step sparring.....

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 4 weeks later...