• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mats

Bastich

We train in school gyms so the floor is springy wood. When we do any takedowns there's always some gymnastic mats lying around so we can use those. Do have some jigsaw mats and they're what's used at competitions but never known someone to get caught in them if they're stuck together properly and in good repair.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never use pads for anything personally. We even practice throws on wood floors. It hurts when you mess up, I won't lie. I'll tell you what though, you learn to fall right REALLY quick.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Yes, bushido man, I have had those mats! I got them when a schools gymnasitcs floor got recovered. They do work well, but long sleeves and knee pads are a MUST for sure if you're spending any time on the floor rolling.

They really work best for being thrown and taken down. But they'll do in a pinch. Lot's of scab marks from those suckers though :lol:

Yes, I agree, tallgeese. Those mats work really well for our TKD and even our Combat Hapkido stuff, but I have found that rolling around on them without full-leg gi pants on can really rough up the knees.

The MMA guys that use our gym to roll around some have brought in a few of their own Wrestling mats for that purpose. I don't blame them at all! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have several mated areas in my dojo, I use plain 'ol black duct tape to secure them together & cover the seams. Never had a problem with a toe getting caught. A quick & easy fix from walmart. Cheap too, $15 will buy you enough to cover 2k sq ft of matted area.

• 11 months later...

in traditional karate its not an option to ever train with mats always hard floors which is good becuase your not being realy soft when sweeped or anything...but in judo we have realy small mats that often hurt becuase of how thin they are....sometimes its just the throw but other times its the mats, they are good for judo or a grappeling art but not standing things like karate

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

• 1 month later...