• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Class had Good Jujitsu in it tonight Sensei

Dobbersky

All

In my School I have a few students who cross train in various styles.

I work on Bunkai allot in my Dojo we learn the kata then work the Bunkai of the kata making it sink in more and give all the opportunity to understand the "why" in the moves and combinations.

One of my students made the statement at the end of the one of the classes "This was a good Jujitsu class today Sensei."

I know they knew which class they were at, and I know why they said it, as we were working on Ashihara's Kihon kata 2 and this can be interpreted as a Throwing and Grappling kata.

It makes me think what really are the differences between Karate and Jujitsu?

I advised the student in quest that what we practiced was "Real Karate" and that as they learned and practiced more karate they would find that there is allot more locks, throws and grappling involved in the kata we practice.

What are your thoughts on this, Should I be upset from their statement or pleased? I am actually glad they enjoyed the class and hope they learned something from its context.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If it means that the student learned what you intended to teach, then I think you should be pleased.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I think you should be pleased, as well. Its good that they get some of the JJ type of stuff in their bunkai, and the fact that they recognize it like this shows that that they are thinking about it, too.