• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you have problems with terminology, you should maybe call yourself something other than a muay thai instructor...

I'll even be fair now Ken and give you a little Thai lesson, but I'm not sure if that will even help...

Sok Hud in english levering elbow...what would you use this for?

Kao Tone (the straight knee)...where is placement of the hands in this technique Ken?

Sok Ku (double elbows) just to elaborte to be fair it's a defense against the clinch.

I'm curious how long you have trained muay thai anyways, as well as taught.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Ken, I'm in aggreement with Iron (not that you are not a proficient MT instuctor in your art but,

Simplistically speaking...

If you're gonna 'walk the walk' you should 'talk the talk'...(I feel this way with everything)

In TKD we refer to all our forms in Korean, in fact we count reps in Korean, it respectful of the art for whence it came. Although our instructor does not call out our kicks (chagi's) or punches (chirugis) in Korean we are all well aware of the terms as posted in the dojo. (oh thats the place where we train)

For those who don't want to speak Korean or Thai or whatever besides English then take up boxing in the ring if you wanna just wanna jab, punch & hook!

...just my opinion :smile:

Deby

If there is a righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in character,beauty in the character, there will be harmony in thehome. Harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.When there is order in the nation, there will be peace on earth.

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 16, 2001 5:39am

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 16, 2001 5:40am

Sorry. but I'm not going to learn 5 different languages because the arts I train in come from 5 different places.

I am not familiar with 'levering' elbow.. maybe it's the same elbow that I use to lever out of a bear hug, but without seeing it done, i'm not sure if that's the same thing I'm talking about.

The straight knee.. proper placement for this varies from school to school. Is this a straight knee that drives up, or a straight knee that drives through the opponent? Even in Muay Thai, there are differents "styles" of fighting. If it's a thrust-knee that you are talking about, I place one hand on my forehead and the other pulls, much like a round-kick.

Double elbows is something I'm not familiar with. If it involves using both elbows at the same time to strike with, it's not something I would teach. I've learned all of my defenses against the clinch in numbers. I know "defense number 1, defense 2" and so-forth.

What does this illustrate? That even in the english language, the terminology of techniques vary from instructor to instructor. I'm sure the same thing happens in the Thai language.

If you think that I'm not a valid Muay Thai instructor because I don't speak Thai, that's your choice. It doesn't affect me because my students will still become proficient at the techniques and concepts of Muay Thai, with or without your approval. If you think I was taught wrong, then maybe you should take it up with my instructors Master Surichai Sirisute, Guro Dan Inosanto and Sifu Frank Cucci. Go ahead, look these guys up on an internet search and you'll find that these instructors are very well known and respected as great instructors and martial artists.

Take up boxing, huh Lori? But boxing originated in Greece, so as americans, we shouldn't take that up without learning the proper Greek terminology. In fact, according to this 'talk the talk' concept. You should talk the native language of anything that you would interact with, right? My television is made by Sony, so I should learn how to say the Japanese words for television in order to watch it, is that right? Or.. you could say that television was invented in America, so any japanese person that wants to watch television should learn English. Hmmm..

While your opinions are your own, I do not agree with them. I also do not appreciate the questioning of my validity as a martial artist and an instructor simply because of my lack of multi-cultural linguistics. This opinion also questions the validity of my martial arts instructor's teachings, which also is not appreciated.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

It is an ignorance towards others you have shown Ken that brings along this line of questioning...

thaiboxerken wrote:

"By virtue of the punishment dealt with Tae Pub Nok or Nai (outside and inside knee), I think you'd be in for a world of hurt...

That might mean something to me, if I understood Korean. "

end quote

I was just being helpful...and gave the translation after the Thai name. If you had problem with my post, maybe you should have asked for an elaboration, instead of being ignorant, like so many of your other posts on this board...

I'm sure you have alot of good information that people can benefit from...truthfully.

This Message was edited by: Iron Arahat on Aug 16, 2001 8:37am

Ken...it's Deby NOT Lori

Hey you're in fact interacting with me correct?

We wouldn't be able to if you didn't know how to read, write, type or for that matter switch on your computer.

You are taking the interacting thing way too far. Chill hon!

Everything has its origins somewhere...you do and I do. Thing is we should appreciate tradition.

Get to know Thai...the food is awesome too!

You might learn something and hey...you can throw some words out to your students and educate them as well!

Peace! :angel:

DEBY...(1/2 Italian, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 English)

1st deg. TKD (Korean) Black Belt

Ooops.. sorry, i got you confused with Kickbutt, Deby.

Anyway, opinions are opinions. If I didn't realize what language you were speaking and mistook it for Korean, that has has nothing to do with my validity as a martial arts instructor or the validity of my instructors. Some people wish to teach the native language terms for the techniques in their martial art, I choose not to really worry about it. It is the technique and concepts that are most important, not what I call these things.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Thats OK Ken :smile:

True, opinions are opinions...thus we have a forum here to voice them. You'll always find someone who is either in agreement with you or not...such is life.

Martial artists are grouped like this... this was something interesting that I read :

retro-focused- MA who defines himself primarily on past traditions, one who resists change and finds current MA trends threatening.

future-focused-focusing on new ground, new concepts

present-focused- doesn't think much of the past or the future

Deby

If there is a righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in character,beauty in the character, there will be harmony in thehome. Harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.When there is order in the nation, there will be peace on earth.

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 16, 2001 9:10am

Oh no i just realised i'm now completely worthless as a martial artist because i can't name all the techniques i know in 5 different languages and everyone knows if you can't speak the language you can't do the art. :down: That is some of the stupidest stuff i've ever heard I have no idea how to say right foot in korean but i'd really like send it into a few people's heads on this forum

Damo

I know lots of pretty kicks and techniques but chances are i'll just knock your teeth down your throat