• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Remember even if a fight goes to the ground it doesn't have to turn into a grappling match you can still strike from top or bottom position. In fact unless there are rules which I'm guessing there won't be don't be afraid to get dirty (biting,eye gouging,fish hooking etc.) For self defense it's all about survival so anything goes.

Semper Fi , Dave

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm going to have to side with the grapplers on that one though, beast. Most strikers don't really look at generating power on/from the floor, and they freeze up when their footing is gone. It's an alien realm, and many of the rules are different; the rules that are the same, often one does not realize are the same. I wouldn't worry so much about a Harimau guy or a dishuquan stylist, or a systema guy since they do that some of the time at least, but a boxer or a karate guy? probably not going to know what they can do and will be relatively helpless.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Striking from the ground, in any position, is a learned skill like anything else. It takes reps to gain an understanding of the dynamics and continued practice and sparring in those enviorns to become truely proficient. Lacking that, one's chances of being effective are limited for sure.

• 1 month later...

Standing or on the ground? Only thing I've to say is this...one better learn how to do BOTH because one will be involved by doing one or the other during defending oneself. Don't be caught unprepared while your attacker is extremely versed in BOTH. Finding out you lack in one or the other during defending oneself is akin to a pilot not knowing how to fly an airplane!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

Having and using grappling skill also helps effective clinch fighting. If you can do this you can throw knees, elbows, and there are even a few options for round kicks, if you strike with the shin. You can take your opponent to the ground while remaining standing and if you hang onto an arm or leg you can go for a cutting armbar, standing ankle lock or a toe hold. And there's always the classic standing guillotine or headlock with punches (though there are counters). If you choose to go down with him you can use the kneeride position which lets you stand back up quickly.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007