• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With A Little Help From My Two Little Friends!

Be truthful here. Has anyone really used these two friends or said pressure points as a means in a actual streert confrontation? Anmd I am not talking about highschool, or weak college types.

Believing in oneself is one thing. Being complacent in such tactics is another.

It's not complacency at all, imho, to believe in ones ability while using such tactics and the like. I make the technique work; the technique is dependant on ME, no matter the technique!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be truthful here. Has anyone really used these two friends or said pressure points as a means in a actual streert confrontation? Anmd I am not talking about highschool, or weak college types.

I think there's a time and place for everything. Being aware of these pressure points may be beneficial and it doesn't do any harm to know of them "just in case". You never know when you may be in such close quarters or whatever that these points become a viable option. Better to know about them and have them in your arsenal than not.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

As to use, and bear in mind I'm not a huge fan of pressure points, I've used the hypoglossal to yard a restive subject out of a vehicle before. I'll grant that part of the effectiveness here was probably due to leverage; however, the nerve pain produced couldn't have been detrimental to procedure.

I've since moved on to other methods of removal in situations like this but it's not due to the ineffectiveness of it. It has to do with other officer safety factors.

I think that, in the case of the hypoglossal at least, the use of a pressure point is nice when you'll get an effect even if the nerve pressure does not work. In this case, the leverage.

They're tools to be familiar with that have specific niches to fill, in my opinion. If you can coordinate them into your scheme, so much the better.

What does that question have to do with anything?

So, let's say, for grins and giggles, that every technique ever thought of in the martial arts hasn't been used per your question. Has every technique in Shotokan, for example, been used per your question? Does that mean that that/those/these/them/this technique(s) should never be considered or tried? And, if not, should 'it' be thrown away with the bath water?

The only thing that matters to ME is this: Is the technique effective? If it is for ME, then it stays. If it isn't for ME, then it goes. I'll determine its effectiveness or the lack thereof through the many trials and tribulations that surrounds each and every technique within the martial arts. Not my Sensei, not my association, not the Founder, and not any other martial artist/person. Me and me alone!

Z, I'm not sure how my example doesn't fit your criteria.

I didnt really understand it.

As for Sen8, a technique is only as good as the proven ground to which one is going to subjected it to or under.

If one has not many grounds to prove and/or use, or seen the use of such in such proven grounds, than it can hardly be associated as effective. Especially if such is on the lower percentage(s)

The percentages are higher of its application in the class, not in the proven grounds. Of course, these proving grounds would have to be that of ones environment or situation.

Alright, I'll refrain from cop lingo. I had a guy decide not to get out of a car and he fought.

The rest of the post should explain my position.

Doubt it...don't doubt it. Believe in it...don't believe in it. That's the prerogative of every martial arts practitioner.

Nonetheless, you've had and I've had students from time to time doubt the effectiveness of some technique that you/I were teaching them, but, once you/I told the student to fight/resist you/me with their every being no matter what, then, you/I would prove its effectiveness and that that technique CAN work. At that very moment, that's when your/my student became believers of that technique. BTW, you/I were once THAT very student until our Sensei made you/I believers too. You/me/our students were doubting Thomas' more times that we care to remember, but, you/me/our students only doubted any technique until our Sensei emerged us in the waters of that technique. After that, you/me/our students came out baptised believers of that technique.

After all...Why would I teach my students ineffective techniques? I WON'T and I DON'T!!!!

It isn't a matter of teaching and/or learning "ineffective" methods. It is a separation of probable and improbable. A lot of RBDs do not waste time, effort, etc., on such methods not in tune to actual hardcore street confrontations.

Of course, this is all subjective to one's environment and situation.