• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With A Little Help From My Two Little Friends!

Sometimes a little help from my two little friends gets the attention of my attacker(s). I get by with a little help from my two little friends, and I'm not talking about a Beatles song.

I'm referring to something that takes no more pressure than needed for opening an orange or a soda can. Know this, it involves getting in the very close proximity of my opponents head/neck area. This isn't as easy as it might sound, but, it's not impossible at all.

You've got to get there, once you get there, latch it one quick and I mean quick. Are any of these two little friends easy to escape from? Yes/No, depending on whom the opponent is as well as what's been done to my opponent before one of my little friends begin to latch on. Ok, Ok!?!? What are these two little friends and where is the target areas?

Hypoglossal Nerve: This area is hard to locate at first, but, once learnt, finding the area is easy. The hard part could be applying it because the attackers not going to just let you apply it.

In this area there is a concentration of nerves. The target area is behind and up under the jawbone. Located directly under the lower jaw bone running from directly under the chin traveling towards the rear at end of the jaw bone near the ear-lobe. The Hypoglossal Nerve travels along with/near the Genio-Hyoideus muscle.

Basically, one would be holding the lower jaw bone while pressing upward with the thumb just inside of the bottom of the low jaw bone. Very painful!!!!! One can apply this with one-hand and/or two-hands; useage of both hands is double trouble for the opponent. Either way, compliance is obtained.

If you were to study a picture of the nerves of the scalp, face, and side of neck; you'd see the Hypoglossal Nerve I'm referring to as to it's path of travel along the lower jaw bone. Check out this link to see a pic of these nerves...(Click on the picture on the left, the pic will appear clearly as well as allowing an image increase)

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dnerves%2520of%2520the%2520scalp%252C%2520face%252C%2520and%2520side%2520of%2520neck%26fr2%3Dtab-web%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501&w=649&h=1122&imgurl=www.sil.si.edu%2FPAID%2Ffullsize%2Fpicturingwords%2FSIL32-028-01.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sil.si.edu%2Fexhibitions%2FPicturingWords%2FPW_enlarge.cfm%3Fid_image%3D1335&size=330.4kB&name=SIL32-028-01.jpg&p=nerves+of+the+scalp%2C+face%2C+and+side+of+neck&oid=edbaa0183ed5b5c4&no=1&tt=2&sigr=12d422tjq&sigi=11sbah1cp&sigb=14g1dt58o

Digastricus/Mylo-Hyoid Muscle: This is so simple; both to explain as well as to execute then the Hypoglossal Nerve is. The target area is located directly under the point of the chin; in front of the glands. Pinching the skin in this area between ones own thumb and fore-finger will cause severe discomfort/pain. This is a compliance technique; quite effective because both the muscles and the skin are being affected!

Check out this link as to where the target zone is located approximate... (not the described point and the like that's being discussed on this link)

http://pressurepointkarate.com/points/mikazuki.htm

Either of these will be effective attention getters. Attackers won't want to stay around much longer. Well, I know what they feel like and I know that I wouln't stay around long either.

Taste them and see that they are good!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo, that would be very difficult in an actual fight cause he is bouncing up and down swinging at ya with a fury of haymakers. I have tried pressure point techniques and they are hard to do it to a willing opponent let alone a fully resisting one.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I have had poor luck with pressure points, as well. However, in my profession when you have passive resistance, things like this may come in handy.

I think some basic nerve tactics re good to have the the toolbox. I can't say I'm a huge fan, there's just too much room for a missed position or a naturally resistive persion to the pain t hey create. Also, as Throwdown mentioned, they can be very difficult to utilize at speed.

I have to concur with bushido man, based on your occupation they can come in handy for passively resistive subjects. Even then I tend to be more of a forarm/elbow in and plow them in the directin I want them to go. But they can definatly have a place there.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's actually two pressure points on the head I've had a fair amount of success with that aren't too difficult to get in a real situation. The other two are the solar plexus and the common peroneal nerve, but I'm not sure if those are "legit" points.

The first and most useful for me was the mandibular angle, the tiny space right behind your ear and by the jawbone. It's easy to find and applying some serious pressure can usually get you to have them do what you want. You just need to control the head so it can't move away. I find just ramming a thumb in there works best.

The second is the infraorbital, right at the base of the nose. Straighten some fingers out, control his head, and apply pressure upwards at a 45 degree angle and they will feel it.

Pressure points are unreliable though, so be ready to escalate if they don't work. I used the mandibular angle on a young guy high on something and, despite screaming bloody murder due to the pressure I was giving him, he still didn't stop resisting arrest. The infraorbital doesn't work well on me as I've had my nose broken before and somehow that affects it.

I consider pressure points brownie points if you can get them, but I wouldn't rely on them like I would on a Smith and Wesson.

All techniques have their time and place.

You just don't go out looking for opportunities to use a specific one or you lose.

Pressure points don't work on everyone I know for a fact as I have tried them on lots of people.

However for example during grappling for head control the one near the earlobe can be good I would have thought. This is the most effective one I have found it works on 99% of people.

Interestingly a punch to the face also works.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

But when the chance presents itself...I'll be ready!

sensei8, I am not trying to sound negative towards you, but the chance will almost never present itself in a real confrontation. Unless you are going against a inexpereinced person.

That's ok...I'll be ready whenever it actually presents itself....and my opponent, no matter how skilled or unskilled, will find it rather uncomfortable. The bueaty of Tuite is that the techniques will sneak up when one, skilled or unskilled, isn't expecting it.

I'll be ready!

**Proof is on the floor!!!