• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think there is definitely too young...

This topic raises a related question, at least to me...If martial arts is about discipline, at least on some level, it seems like you couldn't possibly really start teaching somebody MA until at least age 5 or 6. That's about the age that team sports start to appeal to kids, which indicates to me that they have some concept of positioning (whether it is body or field position) and some sense of purpose. Before they start to grasp certain key concepts aren't you really just working on gross motor control / development with the kids? Not that those things are bad, clearly in the US at least, we have problems with kids not being active enough, so I think MA (or whatever you want to call it) for the little guys is a great thing - it means they're not watching TV.....of course here I am staring at a computer monitor :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The hardest part to remember is yes, they are very young children who have not even nearly approached an age where truly understanding the Martial Arts is possible.

But when you can't even do basic motor function activities without having to chase down a three year old, it gets slightly ridiculous. My instructor has an aura about him, knows how the handle children like that, and I can only learn from him. :karate:

This topic raises a related question, at least to me...If martial arts is about discipline, at least on some level, it seems like you couldn't possibly really start teaching somebody MA until at least age 5 or 6. That's about the age that team sports start to appeal to kids, which indicates to me that they have some concept of positioning (whether it is body or field position) and some sense of purpose. Before they start to grasp certain key concepts aren't you really just working on gross motor control / development with the kids? Not that those things are bad, clearly in the US at least, we have problems with kids not being active enough, so I think MA (or whatever you want to call it) for the little guys is a great thing - it means they're not watching TV.....of course here I am staring at a computer monitor :)

These are very good points. I am waiting to start my youngest until we get started in some other activities, to see how he does.