• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think there is definitely too young...

We had a 3 year old join our Little Ninjas recently. I must say she's a cute little girl, but I do think it's a bit soon for her to be enrolled in the program. Class feels more like babysitting than preparing these kids for Martial Arts in a few years.

Our Monday/Wednesday Ninjas have a severe issue with maturity, and yes I know as to be expected as they are extremely young. One kid leaves their stance, three more follow. One kid asks a question, the other kid mocks their voice and copies. "Can I ask you something? Can I ask you something? Can I ask you something? Can I ask you something? Can I ask you something?" NO you can't. But it just doesn't stop.

I have only been an assistant instructor for a year now. I started helping at red belt around a year and few months ago and have made it this far. I've come a long way and have been told I do very well. However today I just felt overwhelmed, our school instructor is away and left the school to me, certainly a sign of trust and a great honor. I've never actually felt overwhelmed before like I did today. Normally I can separate the kids raise my voice slightly and things even out, but today was a joke. I decided to just take the 3 year old to her mother.

Any tips on maintaining 6 especially rowdy Ninjas? I understand kids that young aren't going to be fit for a militaristic discipline, and like I said, 99% of the time I can gain control. But today was just a lot to do.

At the end of their class today I sat with them an explained how they weren't using what they've learned. The 3 Rules for Self-Improvement (Focus your Eyes, Mind, and Body) and the 5 Tenets (Courtes, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit). I asked them if they think they exercised these teachings in class, and they said yes. I kindly said they didn't and tried to point out specifics of what they didn't do to show respect. I denied them throwing the balls around at the end of class, which has recently become a focus of them attending the school. WHICH we are definitely fixing.

My talk was probably a lot for a bunch of 5 year olds, but I tried to explain it best I could that they would understand. Such as they didn't "Focus their eyes" by not looking at me during directions, etc.

Sooooo yeah. More of a little vent than anything, normally they are much better but today was just a little much. I have learned a lot of patience through teaching them, and hopefully they are learning what we're trying to teach them as well. We'll see in a few years and see who is left to move up to the junior classes. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree that 3 yrs old is too young for Martial Arts. I mean, I've seen 3 year olds that weren't potty trained.

I don't have any advice for you. You're a saint for trying to teach a group of small children martial arts.

However, I don't think that your dojo should be a child's first exposure to a school-like setting. Perhaps all the kids should be in school before taking karate?

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

I dont have any either, but I'll chew on it like I do (maybe something will come to me over breakfast tomorrow) - but I know quite often the littlest ones are enrolled for two reasons :

1) a parent is also attending, and so it's a way for them to do an activity with their child while keeping an eye on them, and/or 2) the parents just want to wear the kids out and this is better than just tearing up the house or the McDonald's Playland.

There is no 3 in my opinion because although they're in a ma discipline, the parents are not (I think) hoping you'll be able to teach them discipline in general. I think 2 is the most common reason.

So I'm thinking of something that keeps the little ones busy and engaged....maybe a secondary instructor to you for the children....maybe someone who will pull them into a smaller group not facing the rest of the class and who can focus just on the kiddies...sort of like a parallel class but kid oriented (same time, same room, same kicks or whatever you're doing that day, etc...) someone who's not squeamish to get down onto their level (height-wise speaking) and get them engaged with enthusiasm, who uses their arms and is expressive like a Crocodile-Hunter type of guy you know he was always talking with his hands and his voice you couldnt help but listen to the guy....anyway someone who holds their attention....that's all I got now.

Good luck.

Ok. I got, and yes it's while I was eating - go figure. Here's an idea. It wont solve all your problems and it's geared for the 4 - 6 crowd, but perhaps some of the 3s will pickup on it too. It's an activity I thought of that may just keep these kids occupied for a while and teach them discipline (a bit) and the moves too. i hope you like to be told what to do, cause they're going to have fun with that :

Now I still got in mind that someone else take the group aside like I posted before. Then they will teach them moves like the front stance and kicks and blocks and whatever. Ok....

Each move looks like something else. You're walking down the street, one foot steps in glue and you take another step and weeeoww!! Hey look at that - the front stance - and my other foot's all the way back there stuck in glue.

So I'm walking down the street, step in glue - front stance - and I pull my leg hard and it comes free and weeeow!! Look at that - front kick.

So I'm walking down the street, get stuck (stance), get free (kick) but I wasnt looking when I kicked and almost hit a bunch of tree branches right here (run your hand across your forehead) - upper block or two or however many you want while walking forward upper blocking. Whew almost knocked myself out - glad I was so fast.

So I'm walking down the street, step in the glue, get free, avoid the tree, and keep making it up. Look at the moves and imagine what else they can be used for and then repeat. Put it in space or being grabbed by an octopus or whatever. Have the kids follow along with each move. Dont correct them - that comes later. You just want them moving as a group right now.

Now that they got the hang of it, have them reform and stand as they should and now it's their turn to tell you the story while you alone do the moves. You start 'I just climbed to the top of a mountain and I see something coming at me, what is it - Cindy?' Cindy respondes 'a bird' = upper block.

'Then what, i avoided the bird....I'm walking along and...Danny.'

'you step into mud'

Act it out, and make it crazy, who care what the story is...you climb to the top of a beanstalk and pick corn while space monkeys are attacking you and .... have fun with it. They're wanting to see you do the cool moves. At this point they know the move and what they're asking for.

Now you get to teach them how to do the cool moves correctly. Mess up sometimes after they've seen you do it right...mess up on the front stance...or better yet you forgot how. It's Megan's turn and she says something requiring you to do a front stance. You reply after some "thought"...'How do I do the front stance Megan - show me. I forgot.' She'll demonstrate and now's your chance to say 'that's pretty close' and correct her. Make it quick - kids are waiting their turn. Dont worry about every detail right - just general stuff. And if you see a few eager beavers bouncing 'oooh ooh I know how' then have the whole group do it and make maybe one general correction to the group and not as individuals. Keep it moving. 'Good! You're learning!'

Sometimes ask if you "forget"... 'can everyone show me?....Oh yes! Now I remember the front kick.' And go on with the story. You take turns too - and when it's your turn they do the move with you...'My turn - watch out here comes a plane!" = upper block. 'Very good everyone - but make it quicker lets try one more time'...upper block!! 'Better'

I think it'll be something that'll be done for maybe 10 minutes at most. Maybe a break then again. And ask the kids to make up their own stories with these moves and you'll give them another move next week. Maybe a continuing story, maybe a bunch of short ones. Tell them to draw the stories and how they move - you know, a picture in crayon or marker. It'll give them something to do to remember for next time so class can progress. Tell them to act it out when they show you the drawing next time just one on one (dont make it a competition in front of everyone else), not like show and tell, but like as they come in or maybe after the group thing is over during class...to keep them engaged and most importantly so they know you appreciate their extra efforts. 'And are you ready for the next move? Yeah!'

It sprinkles a bit of fun, lessons, learning, homework, and motivation for discipline I think. Anyway there you go.

Good luck.

Many good ideas akedm. Keeping the class fast and furious is what it is all abut when teaching this age group. You cannot stay on one thing too long or their attention will fade and you will be in trouble! Let me outline a few other points on this age group-hope it helps:

First of all, you can never reason with a young child! Developmentally it is nearly impossible and you are setting yourself up to lose control. The better approach is to acknowledge those moments (no matter how small) that they actually exhibit the behavior you want and remind them of the rules when they don't. Two examples: "Mary I love the way you are standing with your hands to yourself!" "Alex, remember our first line rule...no touching."

This age group is all about learning to listen and follow directions-nothing more. Gross motor movement is still in development so the majority will not be able to coordinate complex movement (for example turning kick) but will have a lot of fun kicking at xray paper because it makes noise. You are developing the muscles and processes they will use later so you have to be patient-this is only prep school.

Have an expectation of good behavior and discipline and never waiver-this goes for your helpers too! Small kids copy everything so if your helper isn't with the program they won't be either. Be excited, patient, consistent, and passionate-it will eventually rub off on the students....and the parents too!

This is a tough group but it is certainly doable if you are up to the challenge!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I started my child when she was 4. It's pretty hit and miss with how much she takes away each week. Really, you rep all kinds of times just to get a close approximation in it's simplest form.

The key here at these young ages is just to get them on the mat and let them have fun doing something that resembles ma's. This puts them in the trappings and gets it into their heads that this is fun to do. You can't ask them to do anything but simplified movements without much substance behind them. But, they'll associate it with fun. That's going to make them stick around for the good stuff later.

At least that's my indoctrination plan :)

Kids this age need a fast-paced class with small blocks of information. You can barely expect them to stand still, let alone stay in a proper stance for any length of time.

If you want them to stay in a stance, make it fun. Tell them front stance for a ten count, then have them count with you. Then switch. This teaches basic counting, a stance, and right versus left.

And if all else fails, have them sit when you give them instructions. Sit down, quickly tell them what they are going to do, then have them jump back up (saying "yes sir" or "yes ma'am!")

Good luck!

Yup...

Can be frustrating sometimes....

However we all know, that the younger they start (within reason) the longer they stay in our schools.

Training just becomes a part of their life......just like school etc....(Which is really what we're trying to accomplish)

Anyway...a REALLY effective "paradigm" in these classes is to give them a solid example to model.

For example, a REALLY good 5 year old form the older kids class, etc.....

When the students have a good example to model that they can personally identify with (rather then only the instructor).....the better they'll perform.

AND, that example will also show the parents what their child can/will accomplish in your class.

Hope it helps!!

Toby Milroy

Chief Operating Officer - NAPMA

National Association of Professional Martial Artists

https://www.NAPMA.com

https://www.NAPMAFreeOffer.com

https://www.MartialArtsProfessional.com

https://www.MartialArtsProfessionalCommunity.com

Great ideas, whitematt and akedm. I like them. Keeping the kids moving is the key to success, I think.

With that said, I do think that 3 is a bit young to be starting out. My son is 3, and I don't think he is ready yet. Once he turns 4, he can start doing some other sports, like running, maybe soccer, etc. I would rather him get into things like that first, and then get him into the MAs when I think he'll understand them and enjoy them. I don't recall at what age kid's Wrestling starts, but I do want him to get in on that, too. At least try it. If he does well, there, I'll look into getting him more into TKD.

My other problem is that I want to have more restraint on when he tests and moves up, and not the instructor. I want him to be good, and to be ready, and I want to spend time on him at home with it, too. I just want him to enjoy it, and to stay motivated. My instructor has his 3 kids in TKD, and they have been since they were all about 4. I can see that they are burning out, but since they are the instructor's kids, they keep coming. I don't want to do that to my kids.