• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Youths vs. Adults

Killer Miller

Actually, my adult classes were Very Hard Core. I had little tolerance in my adult classes. My view point was that my time was valuable as an individual that took my busy schedule and made time enough to teach them. They want to listen and learn, I'd give them 150%. They don't want my 150%, I will still give it to them, but if they don't like the intense training, they would be welcome to go elsewhere. My perspective was that the art could only be truly learned one way, and my way, and if that wasn't appreciated, then their and my time was being wasted and detracted from the ones that truly wanted to learn the art.

Youths, I would still provide the necessary intensity in time, but I would be more forgiving in the earlier stages of development. Youths have different needs and many times are looking for that caring father figure that is currently not in their life (amongst many other issues). Each youth is very different in their current life's development regarding home, medical, personality, etc. Much of what you do to train, interact, support these youths may affect them long term - which is not fair for the youth if it is a negative impact.

Adults have many issues, but they are adults. They are there to train.... You didn't ask them to come, they came on their own. If the environment is for some reason not to their expectations and becomes offensive (not referring to inappropriate offenses of course), then they are likely to have other personal issue that require counseling, which I'll support if they brought their issue to me, or they could go elsewhere to train.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
...You didn't ask them to come, they came on their own...

I think you hit on something there. Even when kids ARE there of their own accord, for good or for bad there's always the Mom factor.

I think by their nature what motivates kids and adults is different. For instance I've always found adults are more likely to enjoy the challenge of learning kata while the kids are more quick to consider it a chore.

absolutely adults can and will give their best effort on the dojo floor but relatively speaking that's more of a conscious application of self-discipline than it is with kids. relatively speaking.

we all have our moments

Maybe its just me, but I don't see the negative approach taken by adults in our school that it sounds like some here are suggesting. Even if they may be thinking "what are we doing?" they aren't always bringing it out in class, and many in our class are working hard and trying to learn the new stuff.

Maybe I should've mentioned at the time my crack about adults being sick of working up a sweat was tongue in cheek. They are more prone to getting their grey matter involved, though.

It IS easier to get kids to "do now, think later". They think it's hilarious. Although when it the idea kicks in with an adult, he or she tends to substain the attitude longer.

we all have our moments

Great topic Killer. I think one of the biggest cons you can get with adults (and some older teens) is the whole "I know better" attitude. When you tell them to do something a certain way they don't because they've either been taught it different by another school or style or they just want to take a shortcut and skip to the "more interesting" stuff. Younger kids just do it, and don't worry about the reasons.

Maybe its just me, but I don't see the negative approach taken by adults in our school that it sounds like some here are suggesting. Even if they may be thinking "what are we doing?" they aren't always bringing it out in class, and many in our class are working hard and trying to learn the new stuff.

We don't really get this either, although our classes are split up into grades so I never see like 2/3s of the school.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In my experience, more often than not, adults that come to train at our club react more like bunnies caught in car headlights, rather than know it alls. ;)

I find adults more receptive to intelligent suggestion than kids in the most part but agreed, kids are often easier to programme because they are supposed to be at that stage.

Although I am the founder of the club, I don't teach the kids "kihon" too often these days (although I did tonight), but I am the kumite coach so I do take the kids for fight training.

In this perhaps, I have a different feeling as I believe you can mould kids to be good competition fighters (if you get them early enough).

It’s a lot harder to do this with adults maybe.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk