• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Incorporating grappling

Hi, sorry for the introduction thread before, I didn't notice the introduction forum.

I practiced TKD for seven years now (black belt) and i'm starting judo. I was wondering how do guys incorporate grappling into your striking, do you conduct any special training for combining the two, or do you think it should flow naturally?

Thanks.

Practice makes perfect, but if no one is perfect, why practice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You will need to totally immerse yourself into the grappling art for a while (certainly more than a year). Then, when you are good at the grappling art (Judo in your case) you can begin incorporating your striking into it again.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying don't train any striking for a few years. I'm just saying that you shouldn't try to combine then until you're absolutely sure you really have a strong understanding of the grappling and how to do it properly.

I suggest the same in reverse as well. Some people go learn two or three boxing strikes and immediately try to incorporate it into grappling. That is also a mistake.

Every martial art is more than the sum of its techniques. It is and should be an overall strategy. Understanding that strategy is necessary before in can be employed properly.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Yes, that's true. I did talk to my TKD instructor and we agreed I would be doing mostly Judo for the next couple of month's (But not completely abandon striking).

I agree that to be really good at integration you're going to need time. Howeverm I think that if you start linking movements that you understand well together, you'll be fine.

So let's say you spend a couple of months in judo and you've developed a pretty solid leg reap. You've already got a good striking background so that shouldn't be a problem. Now, it's not that hard to add a punching sequence to the front of the reap. And presto, you've started bridging the gap.

Personally, I start training guys this way early. The transitin between the two is harder than some would think. From a striking standpoint, it's hard to get used to working against a takedown if you're just used to focusing on punching. From the other side, it's harder to get effective throws and takedowns when someone is punching you in the face. So, I like to start sooner rather than later on putting them together. It just lends itself to more repetition.

In this model, integration occurs in steps, not whlesale between two different systems. It breaks movmements down and places them inot a framework that allows a student to work with the parts he's comfortable with sooner.

Let's face it, if you're looking to integrate skills it's largely becasue you want a more well rounded skill set, usually for defensive purposes. If that's the case, then developing at least a modicum of operational skill in integration sooner is better than later.

Back to your inital question, it's not really instincitve unless you've trained that way from day one. There will be an adjustment period. Usually, I focus a portion of class on stand up, part on ground, and part on bridging the gap. So, I'll add takedowns or defense vs. them into the day's palns somewhere. But training in it is important for sure.

So, you'r suggesimilsting to practice combination techniques somewhat similar to Jujitsu as a base to incorporation? (Later on sparring ofcourse)

If you feel comfortable with your TKD striking, and then you feel comfortable with picking up a bit of Judo, then you might even consider taking the skills to someone who has combined and used both in the past, and ask them for some advise on how to integrate the two. That way, you can take what little bit of Judo you pick up, and figure out how to mesh it with the striking. Having the advise from someone who has transitioned the two together will help to point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure I get the last question you posed Mega, sorry. Could you restate it? Again, sorry, I just don't want to spout and not answer your question.

There are some rough examples of how I integrate striking and takedown training into mitt and sparring work over on the Training Log thread in the Heath, Fitness, and Training section. The striking will all be familiar, most of the takedowns are wrestling of jj in nature as I don't have a judo background. But they might give you the idea of what I'm talking about. They are a rough outline and not a round by round breakdown. You might have to go back a few pages, we've been doing alot of grappling lately in preperation for a tourny.

Also, I did an article up in that section on focus mit training that address the integraion of other skills, including takedowns into them. Might be worth a look for you if your interested.

My mistake, writing that I would focus on Judo for a couple of months, I meant a couple of years...

Anyway, I can't honestly say I'm cofortable with my striking. I feel that my TKD training has given given me a couple of bad habits in addition to all the benefits. My kicks lack power in sparring due to point kicking training, and I don't feel that I have any handwork.

I actually consulted my instructor on this (I thought about switching to Kyokushin), he advised me to stay in TKD and take part in his special blackbelt team, who's training is more combat focused, as well as complementing my training with boxing at some point.

And thanks for the tips, I loved the article about focus mitts. (Sorry for my english, I'm from israel)

To work on kicking for power, I would get to the bag as soon as you can, and do some rounds. Make it move for you. Also, if you are into repeat kicking (same leg kicking, not setting it down), I'd drop that, too, and work on more combinations that work from one leg to the other, or that move forward, using the same leg, but setting it down each time.

Just some thoughts. :)

It's not that I can't put power in my kicks, it's that i'm used to kick with no power in sparring. I think what I really need is more hard contact sparring.

But thanks for the advice anyway.