• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi folks, I've been trolling, or lurking, or whatever it's called when you read forums as a guest, for a while. I studied karate for about 6 months a few years ago and loved it, but moved from Missouri to Utah and left the dojo behind. I'd love to get back into fighting arts and I know that everybody recommends going and watching classes - I have been - but I'm wondering if karate is the right choice or if I should expand my search. I'm 5'6" but weigh 175 - so I'm short and stocky. It seems like my build might be better suited to judo or other grappling arts; in a stand up and strike art most folks have better range than me. But I'm pushing 30, so the idea of beating the crap out of myself in some of the more physical arts doesn't appeal as much anymore. I really liked the balance I had at my previous dojo; some (controlled) sparring once a week, but plenty of time punching and kicking the air or bag, and plenty of kata to work on the techniques.

There's a shotokan class here that I'd like to look into, as long as it's more traditional than sport oriented I think it might appeal to me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Steve

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely expand your search, but not just because you think your body type might be whatever. Maybe there's a great Karate school in your area - or maybe all the Karate in your area is, because of random chance, horrible, but there's some amazingly capable Kung Fu teacher near you or something. Look into everything, you never know what sort of gems you might uncover.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

If you're willing to try out Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu than I would recommend it. Pedro Sauer (a 7th degree Gracie black belt) has several affiliate schools in Utah. Salt Lake City is where he used to live himself until he moved to VA a few years ago. Here is a link to his website. You'll be able to search the affiliate schools there by state. You'll also be able to get a feel for who Pedro is.

http://www.pedrosauer.com/pedrosauer/page.asp?id=10

To answer your question more directly, yes. You should expand your search to include any and every martial art.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Traditional Shotokan is a good pick, and you stated that there was a dojo near you. I prefer the traditional type dojos, but that is just my opinion. I am also very short (but I have you beat- I am only 5'2) and very stocky. I prefer the term "athletic" LOL. Shotokan works great for those of us with this type build. One of the main focuses of Shotokan is developing power, and it is well suited to stocky body types. I am also over 30 (I am 35) and karate is definately a great, well balanced workout that has benefits that far surpass just physical fitness. Most Shotokan dojos train katas, kihon (basics) and controlled kumite (sparring) so it is a very balanced workout.

Joi H.

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi

I'll second ps1 as well, you'd be suprised how much less of a pounding you'll take (cardio not withstanding) in a grappling oriented class than a striking orientied one.

Still, don't take anything off the table until you see what's in your area that might intrest you and whose personalities you mesh with.

Tallgeese, I'm surprised to hear that a grappling style won't beat me up as much as a striking style. In my, admittedly limited, experience it seems that grappling requires somebody to get thrown to the ground in nearly every exercise, while striking often includes lots of imaginary targets. Clearly there's more to it than that?

Modern grappling of the jiujutsu sort focuses on what happens *after* someone hits the ground to a much greater extent. Furthermore, in a throwing art, you learn how to lessen the impact you take with experience, so you take less of a beating as you progress; in many striking styles, as you progress, the seals get snapped off and the pounding you take increases.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Most ground oriented schools will do more training from the floor for sure.

Granted throws are a part of any grappling art to a greater and lesser degree. If you look at judo or greco-roman wrestling, they are almost entirely based around the throwing aspect.

Now, a bjj school or other similarly focused grappling school will have takedown work, but to a far lesser dergree while actaul skills on the ground are predominate.

After watching video from the link that ps1 posted it looks like bjj typically goes from a take-down to a joint lock. I guess the deal is you tap out before serious damage occurs, so you're not sore and bruised the next day like you would be from getting punched and kicked?