• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ground skills on a budget?

Finances are tight at the moment, and all the grappling schools i'm aware of in my area seemed a bit bling. I don't really need to reach the highest levels of skill, but I do need to get the basics. Does anyone know any ways to learn and practice fundamental ground grappling for less? (I don't need 'free', just 'inexpensive', and I don't have a training partner for it right now.)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You could try checking out a local wrestling club. You'd be suprised at how many of them have, at one time or another, checked out a jj class out of curiosity. Not to mention, you'd get a world of practice with body contact takedowns and hip work on the ground. It'd be a good starting point.

TAllgeese is right , I would say that you may look at a local judo club. Judo is almost always cheap , and if you look at some traditional places , you will get some good matwork too.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I'll second that Wrestling option. Even if there isn't a club around, there is likely a high school team or a college team nearby, and if you talk with the coaches, they may be able to work something out for you.

Check into your local AAU folks. Wrestling and Judo should be in competion. From there, back track into near by clubs. I think AAU was staring some JJ things as well. Also, YMCAs tend to have a basic martial arts class, very often Judo. Get into a program and start checking with the people there. I'd lay good money some of them are staying after the regular group and getting in mat work.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 1 month later...

Judo judo judo. Wrestling is great for standing grappling, but judo will help you learn at least the basic submissions from the ground/ working from your back. Arm bars, chokes, shoulder locks...it's all in there. Just be aware that stand up grappling generally makes up the majority of judo's focus like wrestling.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt