• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Okinawan Style are you?

quinteros1963

There are a few who have stated Shotokan as Okinawan but I would say that ShotoKan is more Japanese than Okinawan, Not too sure about ShotoKai though

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotokai was a breakaway group from Shotokan. They claim to be the "true" version of what Funakoshi envisioned for Shotokan, I believe. Probably still more Japanese than Okinawan, though.

There are a few who have stated Shotokan as Okinawan but I would say that ShotoKan is more Japanese than Okinawan, Not too sure about ShotoKai though

For those of you who don't know, Dobbersky is correct. While the founder of Shotokan was Okinawan, he really adapted Okinawan karate for the Japanese market. I also consider Shotokan a "Japanese" style.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I am a long time student of Matsubayashi Ryu Shorin Ryu karate do. I expect, and intent, to continue learning and training for many, many years. I am also affiliated with the WMKF.

Shotokan can never be considered Japanese since it originated from Okinawa.

There was no such thing as Japanese Karate before Gitchin Funakoshi introduced it to the Japanese mainland in 1922.

With the exception of Okinawan Karate styles Shorin-ryū and Shōrei-ryū, all other ''styles'' were born from Funakoshi's karate to his great dissapoinment since he never called his martial art anything more than Karate.

The ego and need to project themselves made the other sensei differentiate Funakoshi's Karate to something else.

There was no such thing as Japanese Karate before Gitchin Funakoshi introduced it to the Japanese mainland in 1922.

With the exception of Okinawan Karate styles Shorin-ryū and Shōrei-ryū, all other ''styles'' were born from Funakoshi's karate to his great dissapoinment since he never called his martial art anything more than Karate.

The ego and need to project themselves made the other sensei differentiate Funakoshi's Karate to something else.

Shotokan is most definitely a "Japanese" style. While Shotokan is of Shuri-te lineage, it has been heavily influenced by mainland Japan and as such is distinctly different from Okinawan styles in both kata and focus. Moreover, Gichin Funikoshi has had no influence over any of the Okinawan Karate styles and there are many, many styles on Okinawa.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Shotokan is most definitely a "Japanese" style. While Shotokan is of Shuri-te lineage, it has been heavily influenced by mainland Japan and as such is distinctly different from Okinawan styles in both kata and focus. Moreover, Gichin Funikoshi has had no influence over any of the Okinawan Karate styles and there are many, many styles on Okinawa.

Solid Post, OSU!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Solid Post, OSU!!!!

Ditto!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!