• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cross training BJJ as a supplement to Goju Ryu

Ok what do you folks think? I am thinking of supplementing my Training in Goju Ryu with some BJJ. I have some boxing experience and year of goju. Do you think it would be counter productive to take a BJJ class once a week along with Goju. I am a purple belt (intermediate) and want to stay in Goju, but would like to know some of the very basics of BJJ.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think that it would be counterproductive at all. Like Toptomcat said, it will make you better. There is nothing wrong with consolidating some standing skills with some ground skills.

No problem at all doing it.

However, and this might be just me, I wouldn't really consider it to be "supplementing" Goju Ryu. It's very different so in essence you're not really supplementing so much as studying another art to compensate for a weakness. Supplementing to me would be training in something that you can directly transfer into your current training (such as another hard style karate or even aikijutsu/jujutsu for joint locks and the like that you're more likely to find in Goju).

Still, it's good to do. It's a bit early for you to do so IMO but if you want to, by all means.

Definalty go for it. It will only help you in the long run and give you another range option in a fight.

I take a slightly differnt apprach that JusticeZero to these things, respectfully, it's only my opinion. You've got a pretty good feel for Go-Ju by now as a purple belt, enought that you should understand the main concepts and principles of what you're doing. Once you've got some mat time under you, start interfacing the two. Figure out how you can best utilize the ground work into you overall gameplan for conflict resolution. It'll take some time, and you'll need to develop skill in the ground game first, but you'll find that the two should compliment each other pretty well.

I agree that tallgeese has a different take. With two Japanese arts, TG is probably much more corect than I am; I am wary at best of cross-training, as my personal experience with crosstraining was to say the least horrifically ineffective, and essentially wasted two years of my time.

Also, I have a different model of a fight; I avoid ground fighting like the plague, as in the SD models I have, if I go to grappling, I lose regardless of my skill level. I do want to get experience in grappling, but only to get better at getting out of it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

And that is what the cross training in BJJ would give you. I'm not great on the ground, either, but learning the tactics of a grappling art will enhance the ability to counter the effects when facing someone who is skilled in its use.

My karate Sensei has invited a Russian Sambo instructor to come after class once a week to gice instruction to anyone who wants it.

I went along for the first time this week and was very impressed with the skill set being offered. I now intend to keep this up and do the two together. One word of advice a Karate Gi is not made for grappling.