• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi! New girl from Idaho

JoiH

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Welcome to another Shotokan Karateka! Question - how many kata do you have to know for nidan, and what are they?

I had to know:

All of the Heian katas- Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan and Godan.

The Tekki katas- Shodan, Nidan and Sandan.

Kanku Dai

Kanku Sho (which I suck at LOL)

Empi

Jion

Jitte

Bassai Dai

Bassai Sho

Hangetsu

Sochin

Gankaku

Chinte (I didn't technically have to know this one, but learned it anyway because I like the moves).

I really want to learn Unsu but no one at my current dojo knows it. My personal favorite is actually Heian Nidan even though it is a lower level kata.

Joi H.

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi

18 is a lot! I have not done Hangetsu, and we include Gojushiho to your list.

My personal favorite kata is probably Empi, although I am not as good at it as I would like.

LOL are any of us as good as we would like to be? I really think that people will have a personal favorite kata(s) that they excell at.....and some kata(s) that they do not. I know that many of my katas need work- especially after having the baby. I need to work on Jitte especially- I hardly remember any moves anymore! And Tekki Sandan hates me.....But Empi is one of my faves so if you ever need any tips just let me know. I have never done Gojushiho, or seen it, so I would be very interested in a link that shows the kata in action. Thanks for replying!

Joi H.

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi