• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hand Off!! Teaching Other Styles!

Well, I don't think that they are meaningless; they mean something. We could argue (and I believe we are) the matter of legitimacy, but not meaningness.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think that they are meaningless; they mean something. We could argue (and I believe we are) the matter of legitimacy, but not meaningness.

My intent is not to argue! Legitimacy can become meaningless when I, for example, start to certify my students in Shindokan TaeKwonDo or just TKD under the Shindokan banner whilst my TKD rank isn't high enough in TKD to certify/rank in TKD, eventhough my Shindokan rank is more than enough to certify/rank ONLY in Shindokan, not TKD. It seems that I'd be passing out oxymoron certs; oil and water just don't mix.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm from a small organization, so all of the "under the banner of..." stuff is confusing. So is the concept of who can rank and who can't within or outside of an organization.

If you're a bb rank and throw a test for one of your guys, get some of your peers together for a board and go. The whole organization thing only really matters when it come to what kind of certificate you get.

At some point, it's over complicating things. At lest to me, that's all.

tallgeese,

I understand and I hear you! One thing I've noticed is that the "Under the banner" stuff is this...

Disciplines which are officially approved and recognized by the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai are the following:

Jujutsu

Aikijujutsu

Karatedo

Aikido

Judo

Iaido

Kendo

Okinawan kobudo

Any other martial arts discipline doesn't merit recongnition/approval of the DNBK! If your discipline isn't listed, you're discipline's nothing per the DNBK.

Organization, big or small, being recognized isn't just a martial arts thing; it's a human thing.

Basically, its a Japanese organization handing out certs of "authentic" Japanese learning in these arts, and won't include arts outside of Japan. Not a surprise to me that TKD isn't listed there, or Hapkido, or Muay Thai, etc.

However, we can teach someone what we know, as opposed to 2 levels below what we know.....

However, we can teach someone what we know, as opposed to 2 levels below what we know.....

Great point!!!!!!

:karate:

If he knows shotokan...he can teach shotokan.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If he knows shotokan...he can teach shotokan.

Aha! He can teach Shotokan! Another great point! Teaching isn't the same, as many have already pointed out, as certifying!

This is just me, but, I only achieved a green belt in TKD under GM Young Ik Suh therefore, I wouldn't 'teach' TKD because I believe that my TKD knowledge is limited.

Now, if its Shindokan, well, that's another thing!