• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

6 Feet, 4 inches in height - Defence and attack?

Should I be concentrating on kicks for attack and a form of defence?

My first real couple of bouts of kumite on thursday, resulting in a cracked finger bone due to a poor block.

Prior to that though, I landed two good left foot kicks in my first two bouts, both scored.

How would you best attack someone of my heoght and if you are my height, what is your most effective form of defence and attack?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As to how to fight a guy your size, well, it's problematic. I'll generally crash the distance gap at first opportunity. This brings me up nice and close where I can put my weapons to work with power and keeps me out of your power zone. Relitively speaking.

If that's too difficult, or you look to be a solid grappler by your stance, then I'll try to utilize stop hits and limb destructions to work something loose on the entry front.

I would have to get in close, and then stay there. To attack, I'd try to work an angle to get closer, instead of coming straight in. If someone that tall just goes on the attack, then I'd look for some blocking/countering opportunities to get closer.

You big guys are a total pain if you can kick well.:P Can't get anywhere near if a tall guy with good legs can keep the distance. Having said that, being a good infighter can work to your advantage too if everybody tries to crash you and then realises that they have just made a huge mistake. Ultimately how you fight is up to you though, whatever you feel works best. You're tactics may even totally change as you progress. I'd just go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

When I fight bigger people I'll try to close the distance if I can or just work at trying to get around the leg and get some shots in. If all else fails... run away.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Against someone your size, every time i've had to deal with them I go in under the kick and start working the base leg and hips. You're going to need some deep, close in mayhem to fall back on, because your inside range is further out too.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I am also 6' 4', I find that kicks are the best for attack, but you have to keep moving to counter smaller opponents trying to get in close.

Remember you probably also have long arms as well so use that reach.

Even if you punch a smaller opponent they can counter but will have to work harder from a distance.

I am yet to find a simple way of stopping smaller opponents from getting in close apart from quick footwork backwards or sideways and that doesn't make for very good fights.

If anyone has any suggestions for all of us tall people it would be much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Two points:

* avoid over-commitment, as longer recovery time creates opportunities for the opponent to close

* as you deliver one attack, look out for their block and make sure you are ready with more attacks, or at least some quick disengaging footwork

For example: kicks like gliding side kick, spinning heel kick (leg straight), and most "flying" kicks are very committed - a skilled opponent will block or dodge then have time to close the gap. So, only use them if you've already got an advantage over the opponent. Don't reach excessively for a distant opponent, as you'll have to telegraph and over-commit. Instead, narrow the gap more gradually until they're really entering your effective range, and when you attack, mix up some fakes and real attacks, always keeping the hands with the line from elbow to fist pointed at their head: that ensures you can jab out quickly and strongly without telegraphing to follow in behind a kick, or frustrate any attempt to close. Keeping your balance and an appropriate angle of stance towards them is more important than any one attack. Feel the opponent out with a few probing techniques that don't compromise your position much - like front kicks - while keeping your hands up ready to combination punch if they charge or drop their guard. If they do close past your fists, be creative in bending the arms so you can use your elbows, or mixing in some knees, making that trip into your space as difficult as possible.

Cheers, Tony

One other thing: if you allow your opponent to get too far away from you, then when you reengage you may both be in established motion. This means the fighter with the best timing, footwork and skill will prevail. If that's you, great. If not, try to keep the distance more constant: advance slowly and cautiously on the opponent, but once they're at the edge of your range, keep them static there. If they back away, follow promptly but carefully but don't be overcommitting. This means the opponent is fairly stationary and on the edge of your striking range when they're contemplating attacking. They have to make a big deep movement to reach you. If they're inexperienced, they'll overcommit to their attack, lunging at you. You should be ready for this, pick them off, and counter. If they're more experienced, they'll never over-commit, and will feint and probe to draw your limbs into places they can cover as they close the gap. Can't help that... that's when the hard work and experience pays off. But, when you can, it's good to know how to win the easy way. (Important note: and once you're not learning anything more about winning the easy way, do it hard way just so you're challenging yourself).

Edited by tonydee

Should I be concentrating on kicks for attack and a form of defence?

My first real couple of bouts of kumite on thursday, resulting in a cracked finger bone due to a poor block.

Prior to that though, I landed two good left foot kicks in my first two bouts, both scored.

How would you best attack someone of my heoght and if you are my height, what is your most effective form of defence and attack?

I'm 6'6" and 250lbs with a 38" inseam and long arms. Your best advantage at that height is to kick low and use yoru hands a lot..or so has been my experience since 1975 anyway. Kicking above the waist leaves my groin wide open and vulnerable. My advantage is reach, mass and strength and I use it to my advantage. As for tall people being unable to "in fight"..well, I seem to keep the little guys pretty well under control if, and when they get close.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.