Bastich

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bastich the best way to regain flexibility is to do a light warm up (walk or light jog for bout 10 minutes), perform dynamic stretches on both legs to the front and then the side (10 to 20 each leg).

Then do the normal static stretches (hamstring, calf, thigh, glutes), this is the part that will make you more flexible, but it will take time.

Give yourself two to three months to see improvement, but I do this set of exercises twice a day with a walk to a park near my house, do my stretches then walk back home.

Does it seem odd that an adult would practice with kids? At the dojo I previously trained at the kids class wrapped up at 6:45, and the folks that were at least in the midst of puberty or older took the floor at 7:00.

Bastich - good luck with the stretching. The only time in my life that I've ever felt vaguely flexible was when I was participating in karate twice a week; it's been the only way I can make myself stretch!

Does it seem odd that an adult would practice with kids? At the dojo I previously trained at the kids class wrapped up at 6:45, and the folks that were at least in the midst of puberty or older took the floor at 7:00.

Sometimes, kids and adults get mixed into the same classes. Our classes have been that way for some time, now. I think that kids can learn well from having adults around.

Not all dojos have the luxury of separate classes....When I first trained we were all together, kids and adults. Now that I have my own school I offer 2 family style classes each week-I think it is beneficial for the kids.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I think that family style classes are a good offering, too. I think that many times families sign up to do the MAs together, only to find out that Jr. has to be at this class at this time, but Mom and Dad have to come at this time. Now, you have a family that was going to take a class together that has to spend twice as much time running back and forth to make their class times. It can get a bit nuts.

I don't think that all classes should have to be combined, but at times, offering a family class has its benefits.

Inmy case there are two sessions. THe first is a family session with all age ranges put together by belt grade. In this session we mainly practice kata, three and five step combinations etc.

The second session is for the more advanced in both age and ability.

In this session there is more emphasis on sparring.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick note to say that i did my first grading since returning to Karate 6 months ago.

I have been a white belt for the last six months having previously been yellow. Well, i was surprised last night when my Sensei put me in for my Green belt grading which i am very pleased to say i passed.

I was very surprised that i was put forward for my green as i was hoping at best to return to yellow.

This has really encouraged me to try even harder especially now i am a higher grade than my young children.

Just a quick note to say that i did my first grading since returning to Karate 6 months ago.

I have been a white belt for the last six months having previously been yellow. Well, i was surprised last night when my Sensei put me in for my Green belt grading which i am very pleased to say i passed.

I was very surprised that i was put forward for my green as i was hoping at best to return to yellow.

This has really encouraged me to try even harder especially now i am a higher grade than my young children.

Thumbs up!

Just a quick note to say welcome back.

Just goes to show it is never too late, listen to your body and stick with it. My father started karate at the age of 35 and at 73 he is still going strong and kicking bottom makes my 25 years seem a bit feable.

Much about warming up previously but please don't forget to warm down often the more important if you have started smooth anyway.