• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning

Bastich

I am just coming upto 40 and haven't done any Karate since i injured my back when i was 26. Before that i had only reached yellow in Shotokan.

My two children who are 7 and 9 have been doing Karate for about 8 months now and after watching them week in week out i have decided to have another go.

I have been attending classes for two weeks now and i was surprised at how quickly the few Kata I knew have come back to me. I can now do Kihon, Heian Shodan and Nidan. I attend classes twice a week for 2 hours and practice my kata for half an hour every night.

Its a bit of a shocker being a white belt surrounded by 7 years old kids but enjoyable all the same.

My biggest worry is my lack of flexibility and at my age i worry about how long it may take to improve. Any suggestions for good exercises would be gretaly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take it easy and start stretching daily. Nothing too intense, just light relaxed stretching and you'll see improvement. Once you feel pretty good about where you're at, you can look into the more advanced stuff. I highly recommend Bob Anderson's Stretching book.

Don't worry about the flexibility thing - especially in Shotokan... You don't really have to be that flexible. Most kicks above waist height are useless anyhow - so not a big issue. Worry more about the stances, breathing, timing, technique, etc...

BTW, I noticed your style is labeled as Shotokan. What school and sensei?

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Although I wouldn't say that most kicks above the waist are useless, I would agree that you can do a lot of very effective kicking below the waist, and there is nothing wrong with focusing on this. There are a lot of good targets below the waist, and they are easier to get to.

Kuma has good advise on stretching. Take slow and easy, and don't expect too much all at once. I have been with TKD for 15 years, and have never done a full split. If that is a goal of yours, then you need to spend some time fleshing that out. If it isn't, then just stretching when you have time, and especially whenever you are warmed up, will show improvement in time.

Welcome back to the MAs, and welcome to the Forums. :karate:

My Sensei is Brett Lavin but I train in the UK so I doubt you would know him. Thanks for the advice.

I am taking the stretching slowly, don't feel my body will allow me to do much else.

I am concentrating at the moment on getting my stances, punches and blocks strong while controlling my form.

That is good Bastich keep that up. If you have time after class stretch some more, it is good to stretch the muscles after they are warm. I agree the basic stuff is more important (punches, blocks, stances and working on kicking with proper form than height).

welcome back to the bushi no michi (path of the warrior)!

I think everyone has pretty much covered everything I would want to say. Its great you're practicing your kata every night, you'll be set in no time

Hi!

Just wanted to give you some encouragement. I also train in Shotokan. I just had a beautiful baby girl 6 months ago, and I am 35 years old. With regular training I bounced back into shape in no time. I even managed to train (carefully) while pregnant. If I can do it after a baby, so can you!

Joi H.

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi