• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good analogies there, tg. I concur.

It just bothered me that they didn't test both swords from both cultures in the same way. The two weapons aren't that different, and their usage wasn't, either.

I will look into the Warriors show.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past thursday episode he did one on the crusaders and how they handled being under seige. Pretty interesting, part of history you never really learn bout.

Still, not bad on the breakdown. I was more irritated by the highly juvenile and relitively forced trash talking going on between the participants. I won't take it off my list yet, but I probibly will save it for insomnatic spell.

You noticed that too. Yes, it was a bit juvenile but I still had to laugh.

Samurai: (after the archery demonstration) "Now, I understand that for you Vikings, the brain isn't a vital organ. But you can't fight if you can't see."

Maybe it's because I'm a kid but I was like "BURN!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

well finally got the chance to watch it and im overly not impressed. Like I mentioned before they take out alot of variables in there analysis. Plus the trashtalking kinda makes me want to turn it off alot.

Think I'll stick with Warriors on history channel. Least the host there is willing to learn bout the warriors he is doing.

It's an interesting show, but not completely accurate as some have said (I was mad when my Viking brethen lost!) but definitely entertaining. The Spartan one was also excellent, I really enjoyed that one.

Part of the fun for me is seeing the effect on the gel human torso of some of those weapons. The great axe was by far the most gruesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching Deadliest Warrior since the first show. And, I've hit the Spike site for "Aftermath" a kind of sit down with some of the weapon experts after the fact. Much calmer, much more respectful. The forums they have there have some of the people who do the demos on the show posting. Usually they are far more respectful there and you find out the show's producers/directors are wanting them to really up the trash talking. Apparently, "Cool, interesting...that would hurt" are not the responces they want to the opposing team chopping up the jell dummy.

What killed me were the pairings. Only about 2 or 3 made any sense.

Gladiator vs. Apache, iron age vs stone age weapons..??

Samurai vs. Viking...alright, okay I guess

Pirate vs. knight ..... :-? :-?

Mafia vs. Yakuza, actually a good match up.

Spartan vs. Ninja, See pirate vs. knight, only more of it and worse.

Green Beret vs. Spatnez(can't spell it) it came down to a pump vs. semi auto shotgun and a spring loaded knife vs. E-tool for close combat. Why no tomahawk vs. spring loaded knife?? Or semi-auto shotgun for GBs?

Shaolin vs. Moari, again, iron age vs. stone age weapons.

Shori's match ups.

Mafia/Yakuza, GB/Spatnez are okay. Changes in GB weapons being made.

samurai vs. knight, it's the classic match up that every geek/history lower debates

Spartan vs. gladiator-semilar level of weapon tech, close time period

Apache vs. Moari-See above

Ninja vs. Pirate-As the geeks say(and Lord help, i know I'm one) the only thing that can beat a Ninja(before it flips out and kills everyone) is a pirate

Viking vs. Shaolin-Similar tech level, both skilled with opposing views on combat

The Warriors show with Terry Schappert is very nice. I know the history is a bit shallow at times, but it's got enough depth and feeling to come alive and spark interest and inform. Which, to me, makes it a good show. The respect that Terry treats the cultures he's introduced to, usually through native people and living historian types, is very nice. I think he feels a connection with past warrior cultures and is just as in awe as any of us would be. The last show focusing on the Alamo Scouts from WWII was nice. When he met one of the scouts at the end I could feel the hair on my arms standing up. That was a very touching bit of tv and he showed great respect for what would be a direct, military ancestor to the tradition he is now part of. I really liked that.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine