• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The first episode was Apache vs. Gladiator and the Apache won. I liked the weapons analysis, however the combat scenario did not cut it for me. I mean if a Gladiator (someone who trains everyday for life/death battle and does nothing else) has someone down on the ground - the fight is over, that person dies.

Same thing I think with the Samurai vs. Viking - yes there is a samurai superiority bias, but a viking had a shield that they would have used to block the strike and then the viking would have overpowered the samurai.

Maybe they should have those weapons experts actually go at it to see what is really effective?!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DVRed it after seeing the thread. I'll have to take a look later today. Maybe after the Patton show from History Channel.

The first episode was Apache vs. Gladiator and the Apache won. I liked the weapons analysis, however the combat scenario did not cut it for me. I mean if a Gladiator (someone who trains everyday for life/death battle and does nothing else) has someone down on the ground - the fight is over, that person dies.

Same thing I think with the Samurai vs. Viking - yes there is a samurai superiority bias, but a viking had a shield that they would have used to block the strike and then the viking would have overpowered the samurai.

Maybe they should have those weapons experts actually go at it to see what is really effective?!

I don't think it even has so much to do with overpowering. The Viking had fighting technique; they weren't just madmen out swinging the heaviest piece of steel they could find. Yeah, they were probably brutal, but they were not dumb fighters. That shield would have been a great defender against most of the Samurai weapons, and it would likely have been wielded more than just carried.

Still havent caught this. I would recommend that one I mentioned a bit ago though.

Its on history channel at 10pm est called Warriors. The host actually tries to learn bout the warriors of the past and there practices. He did one on vikings with actual viking historians and samurai with the same.

It's a pretty good series.

Still havent caught this. I would recommend that one I mentioned a bit ago though.

Its on history channel at 10pm est called Warriors. The host actually tries to learn bout the warriors of the past and there practices. He did one on vikings with actual viking historians and samurai with the same.

It's a pretty good series.

What day of the week?

I'll have to check out the one one History. After watching the Sam v Viking eposide I was "ehh" about it. Not awful, but hardly scientific other than the measuring devices they used.

For instance, the big argument about the katana vs. the chinmail was it's lack of ability to slice it. Yes, we all know that the katana is a cutting weapon, but I didn't think it was fair to ignore the pointy tip at the end either. I would have like to see him thrust it.

Still, not bad on the breakdown. I was more irritated by the highly juvenile and relitively forced trash talking going on between the participants. I won't take it off my list yet, but I probibly will save it for insomnatic spell.

My impression was, "So this is what happens when Spike tries to do the History Channel."

I'll have to check out the Warriors show.