• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you don't purchase from your school...

JohnASE

If you don't purchase from your school, don't ask them to exchange stuff for you if it's the wrong size!

Just heard this from a school owner who sells sparring gear. A student found a better deal online for the same brand, so he purchased it. When it arrived, it didn't fit right. He could exchange it but didn't want to pay the shipping costs, so he asked the school owner to exchange it for him with the school's local supplier!

Now, this is a service they happily provide WHEN THE STUDENT PURCHASES FROM THEM, but I think asking them for a favor like that, after going around them to get the gear, is just rude!

I always recommend purchasing from your school. Instructors can guide a student in more than proper techniques. They are also experienced at purchasing equipment. Yes, sometimes you pay a little more to take advantage of that experience, but I believe there is a much higher chance of your being happy with your purchase.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not to mention if you only buy form your school you're missing out on the chance to try out new gear. I'm always open for trying new training aids or equimpent that looks like it will allow certain options in training that current stuff i h ave won't.

Lots of times, discoverys of some pretty good stuff can be made by shopping around and finding something new that your school might not carry.

Not to mention if you only buy form your school you're missing out on the chance to try out new gear. I'm always open for trying new training aids or equimpent that looks like it will allow certain options in training that current stuff i h ave won't.

Lots of times, discoverys of some pretty good stuff can be made by shopping around and finding something new that your school might not carry.

Good point. I know of many instances where a student has brought a new product to the attention of an instructor. Exploring knowledge beyond your schools walls is an important part of growth as a martial artist, but I think that it applies more to the experienced student.

I suppose when I recommend taking advantage of an instructor's experience, I'm mostly recommending it to the beginning student and even intermediate students. They're the ones taking the biggest risk if they experiment with their purchases. Do they need WTF approved gear to compete in WTF tournaments? Are dipped foam hand pads allowed at traditional Japanese karate tournaments? Can you use WKF approved shin guards at a USANKF event? Few high ranking karateka even know the answer to that last one! Oh, and I'm not saying I have all the answers either.

Sorry. I agree, then I sound like I'm refuting. Exploring on your own is a good thing. Find things out for yourself! But learn what's going on in your school first, and use that knowledge to explore other things.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I agree with what tallgeese is saying, too, because in my case, I do some things that don't correspond to my TKD training, and therefore, have no function in my TKD classes. I could still have my instructor order for me, but he doesn't usually order anything unless he has enough to be worth the shipping costs. So, in some instances, it is worth it to go on your own.

For school functions and purposes, though, then going through the instructor might be better in the long run.

• 1 year later...
If you don't purchase from your school, don't ask them to exchange stuff for you if it's the wrong size!

Just heard this from a school owner who sells sparring gear. A student found a better deal online for the same brand, so he purchased it. When it arrived, it didn't fit right. He could exchange it but didn't want to pay the shipping costs, so he asked the school owner to exchange it for him with the school's local supplier!

Now, this is a service they happily provide WHEN THE STUDENT PURCHASES FROM THEM, but I think asking them for a favor like that, after going around them to get the gear, is just rude!

I always recommend purchasing from your school. Instructors can guide a student in more than proper techniques. They are also experienced at purchasing equipment. Yes, sometimes you pay a little more to take advantage of that experience, but I believe there is a much higher chance of your being happy with your purchase.

Very rude. This is easily solved by requiring students to purchase your gear.

/\

Palms together in respect.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely! If you didn't purchase the equipment from me/my dojo, then don't expect me/my dojo to return it/exchange it for you. Why? Because I didn't sell it to you in the first place AND I don't work for that supplier, therefore, I'm not under any obligation to do so for any reason.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!