• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What traditional weapon is the most effective now a days?

Espina

Do you have a picture of a cane? I don´t know what it is. (at least not in english hehehehe)

Here you go: http://www.earthworks.com/martialart/canes/

And for a more European flavor: http://www.elite-fighters.com/library/rarebooks/fighting_cane/cane_fighting1.htm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knife has been one of mankind's most important tools. It has been around since likely the beginning, from the first time a piece of flint was sharpened up a bit, up to now, where we have tactical folders and larger fixed blades available to us.

As long as there has been the need to hunt, the knife has likely existed. As long as there has been a need to fish, the knife has likely existed. Its the ultimate traditional tool, in my opinion. Mankind has always used one, and I don't think that will ever change.

Interesting point of view bushidoman, in fact I agree with you... but I'll have to say that the most primitive tool ever used by man must be a hammer.

Just about anything can be used as a hammer :). and it was also used in battle

Well, that's tough. I think that the knife naturally lends itself to being used as a weapon, so much so that it has been specialized over the years to be used specifically as a weapon (combat knives, daggers, etc). The hammer, although formidable, doesn't lend itself as readily to defense, in my mind. It isn't balanced very well, and can't be carried as well as a knife can; especially the folders.

You could make the arguement that the hammer has specialized as well, like the larger medieval warhammers and such, but by and large, I think that the knife would serve one better.

I think that if you strapped on a tool belt, and carried a hammer and a knife everywhere you went, and kept a little notebook in that belt to tally each time you found an opportunity to use the hammer, and the opportunity to use the knife, I think that the knife would come up the most. Thus, the reason I think that its use as a weapon has arised, as well.

Well, stick and knife are so nice, that they are taught together in many Filipino styles, individually and as a pair.

I think that the knife, with its ease of concealment and carrying, edges out the stick, just barely.

That, and the knife's double as a tool helps, too.

Now, if you can carry a collapsable baton, then you have a good starting ground to argue the stick.

• 2 months later...

Well lets see what will I do if faced with Samuri in my truck patch. If they are within 300 yards I could use my black powder rifle, the Japanese had a match lock back in the days of the Samuri so I guess that is a traditional martial arts weapon. I prefer a Thompson Encore just for extra measure with nice Nikon BDC scope (remember Nikon is traditional japanese). At two hundred yards I would go for an English Longbow like the Britts whipped the French with in 1415 at the Battle of Argencourt. But I prefer my Mathews switchback compound bow that will kill an elephant if you hit him in the right place.

Now if old Mushashi gets within 70 yards a preaching from the book of 5 rings he is gonna get the surprise of his life when he gets a load of my Scorpyd Crossbow (Invented by the Chinese about 6000 years ago) that even Leonado Da Vinci couldn't figure out. It shoots an arrow 370 feet per secound and will go through him and his Sempei too. Now if you live here in Louisiana you can get all this good stuff down at the Marry Carter Paint Store :karate: Me, I like my Bowie Knife for close work, a traditonal Louisiana weapon from the days of the Alamo.