• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What traditional weapon is the most effective now a days?

Espina

But do you always carry your nunchaku with you? I mean, aren´t they too bulky?

I've found they are relatively easy to carry during winter weather, as a winter coat always has a pocket they'll fit into. Carrying them in pants can be done, of course, but they do weigh down rather than take up space because they're metal. Instead of bringing them along with me in my car, I have an old version of "The Club," which is actually broken, in that it doesn't lock anymore (but who's going to know?), and the rod part comes out like a stick would, acting as a short sleek metal club.

I did learn from a police officer who taught Street Survival in the past that what you carry may be a factor in court. If you carry something you claim is for self-defense, it may not appear that way before a judge. I can get away with the Club. I've replaced the pocket nunchaku and staff with Sabre, which is CS Military Tear Gas combined with pepper spray. It's less likely to have legal trouble with a spray than a knife if you wind up in court. If you do order a spray, go into an open area and practice using it. Multiple shots should be done, thinking of more than one assailant. Warning: Keep moving from where you've sprayed as a simple breeze can disperse it in all directions, including yours.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehehehe, thanks for the heads up.

Well, here in Costa Rica we don´t have winter so... we are never carrying coats. And for the legal part...well... we kinda don´t have it either.

The laws here are so stupid you can kill a man and walk right out of jail just by signing every 15 days. It sucks.

Personally, I always have a knife on me. If I'm at work, I have 2. However, I always train to deploy covertly as possible. I'm not looking for a psycological edge at this point, I want it in his gullet before he know's it's in play.

This means of course, that I don't have it out until I've reached a situation that quickly resembles a deadly force threat. Not before. Simply because if I present a blade, or my handgun for that matter, and he decides he wants to perpetrate a crime that is non-lethal in nature, now I have to put whatever is in my hand away before I can effectily counter him.

You can't neglect the fact that there is case law out there (give me a couple of days I'll find the citation) that even law enfocement can be held accountable if they deploy deadly force AFTER they create the life threating behavior. Certainly, this would apply to civilians as well. I'm not sure that it's been tested v. civilians yet, but I wouldn't be the test case.

So, a guy comes at you with his hands only, he's not bigger or visably badder and has no decernable weapon. You whip out a knife and threaten him. Now he grabs it and tries to contol it. Of course, you can't let him have the knife, and you're in a deadly force situation. So, you stab him in the neck (or anywhere for that matter).

Now, sounds all good, until it comes out that it wasn't a deadly force encounter until you decided to bring a knife to a fist fight. Now, you can be held liable for the whole thing, regardless if he's the one who started it or not. Bummer, huh?

It's stuff like this that I think ma-ist need to look into more in their region and understand the implication of. It's all good if he backs down, if he calls your bluff you've just put yourself into a serious trick bag.

Either way, effectiveness comes down to what you've trained with and how well you deploy it vs. his skill at defending said weapon. Actaully having a weapon at had is the most important aspect to consider prior to even determining effect. Thats why knives are so practical for so many people. However, even they're uselsess unless you train to physically use them and mentally prepare to cut someone up.

I agree with you Tallgeese.

Specially the part that you must be prepared physically and mentally to hurt someone.

If you take a weapon out, you must be prepared to use it, not to bluff with it.

Thats a good point, tallgeese. Its unfortunate for LEOs, but the criminal has to elevate the threat level before we do, for the most part.

As far as carrying a "traditional" weapon, aside from the knife, I would go with a cane. Its completely legal to carry, and you can use many stick, sword, or jo skills with it, plus it has that handy hook at the end. Something to look into.....

Leg-length staff with a foot at one end and a hooked or handled top at the other for grasping, usually used as a mobility aid for the mildly impaired or occasionally as fashion accessory.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

my best weapon is to just carry a picture of myself without any makeup on and that usually scares the daylights out of everyone.

:lol: :lol:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Depending on the situation. I always carry a pocket knife on me but lately I'll sometimes put in tow a cane.

whats great bout a cane is they can almost be used in public indescreetly for say walking purpose.

The hook end if you use that type can be used to block and quick put a intruder into a arm bar. Or you can quick hook behind there leg and use as a take down and slide the cane back up and use the walking end as a strike.

When I injured my back I had to use one to help me walk around and after awhile I found some more really good practical self defense moves with it especially since I had the surgery done a few yrs back.