• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What traditional weapon is the most effective now a days?

Espina

What do you think about this? I have always discussed this with my sen sei, but we have never been able to totally agree with each other.

For example, I think the stick is the best one because you can find it pretty much everywhere, unlike the katana or any other cutting arms. Besides, you are not going to walk around with a katana strapped to your waist.

What are your opinions? I'm sure everyone has his/her own version

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stick and knife for sure. I know the blade isn't a trad karate weapon, but it is in some oriental arts, and I've seen standing jj systems that utilize a knife to a limited extent.

Definatly those two. A distance next on the list, and one that would probibly me more thought of as a trad weapon might be a bo. It's close to a pool cue or longish pole. Still, it's not common enough to make me want to mess with it.

Hanbo and knife for sure.

I carry a knife at all times, usually multiple ones.

my benchmade auto opener saved me from getting beat up by a drug dealer, he ran upon seeing me produce the blade. I doubt that an escrima stick would have produced the same psychological effect.

The stick works well in combat, but isn't very scary. A knife, on the otherhand, brings BLOOD to one's mind. If you fight somebody with a knife, chances are you're gonna get cut.

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

I got these years ago:

"Pocket" nunchaku, made of metal and collapsing one section into another. I have a set that will open to 8" each rod.

"Pocket" staff, made of metal and collapsing sections like the nunchaku, above. It opens with a flick of the wrist.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I carry a knife at all times, usually multiple ones.

my benchmade auto opener saved me from getting beat up by a drug dealer, he ran upon seeing me produce the blade. I doubt that an escrima stick would have produced the same psychological effect.

The stick works well in combat, but isn't very scary. A knife, on the otherhand, brings BLOOD to one's mind. If you fight somebody with a knife, chances are you're gonna get cut.

You have a good point there.... but what if he is armed with a bigger knife? The stick provides you distance, but with the knife you have to be close to your opponent to perform some damage.

I guess at the end it all depends on how you feel more comfortable with.