• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Literature Recommendations

KarateAndy

I'm reading The Way of Kata (Kane and Wilder) and 5 Years One Kata (Burgar). Both very good books which give good advice on applying Kata. Iain Abernethy's books are also good. Waking Dragons by Goran Powell, and Wado Ryu Karate Uncovered by Frank Johnson are both good autobiographical accounts of the study of karate.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading The Way of Kata (Kane and Wilder) and 5 Years One Kata (Burgar). Both very good books which give good advice on applying Kata. Iain Abernethy's books are also good. Waking Dragons by Goran Powell, and Wado Ryu Karate Uncovered by Frank Johnson are both good autobiographical accounts of the study of karate.

As a wado-ka, I have had quick flick through Mr Johnson's books and they are ok, my personal view is that they lack depth, but then I guess what books don't.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Well, I've only got the one book by Johnson. it's pretty slim, but an interesting account of his year studying in Japan. There's not much in there that you can use to improve your own karate though.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)