• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Literature Recommendations

KarateAndy

vashogun, yup that's the one. It really is an excellent book. I don't agree with everything he says in there, like his heavy insistance on kata, but a majority is really good. Aside from a couple of quibbbles, it really is one of the best. Definatly geared towards cultivating a warrior mindset and attitude.

It's another one that's hard to find out on shelves anymore. I'd guess you'll have to get it on line these days.

I left out a couple of picture books I'd reccomend as well that deal with specific styles and such. I don't normally like these too much, I think you're better adding movements to your arsenal by way of an instructor. However, a few I've liked anyway are:

Bas Ruten's Big Book of Combat vol 1 and 2

Wrestling for Fighting

Entering to Trapping and Grappling

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your in a style that puts heavy emphasis on kata anyway, than I think Morgan's focus on kata is fine. However it does leave styles like Krav Maga and Jeet Kune Do a bit in the dark. However even then you have shadow boxing and retzev which are basically those styles equivelents.

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.

Well I also notice your an MMA guy. Its in your nature to ignore the kata. lol, I'm just yanking your chain as a traditionalist. But that is a good thing to point out, this book really is best for people who study a traditional style I think or at least a style that claims some traditions. Like tallgese said there is good information there though regardless.

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.

I would highly recommend just about anything by Dave Lowry. He is definitely into traditional MA -- I believe he practices karate, kendo, and iaido. He is very well versed in Japanese history, the history of budo and the samurai traditions, and is also able to speak from years of experience training, both in Japan and the US. I also find his writing style to be quite engaging and enjoyable. He has written many books, but the ones I am familiar with are "Moving Towards Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan", "Autumn Lightening: The Education of an American Samurai", and "In the Dojo", which is about various aspects of etiquette, procedures, and tradition, logically enough, in the dojo. I also have a book of his that is a compendium of the Karate Way articles he wrote for Black Belt magazine, between 1995-2005. In some ways this is my favorite, because they are short articles, usually 2-3 pages, that can be read over and over again. I get something new and different out of them each time I read them. A few of the article titles are The Gateway to the Martial Path, Reaching the Target, Losing Gracefully, and The Art of Overcoming Fear. (Lowry also wrote a book about sushi, one of the best I've seen, if you're into that sort of thing). Check out Dave Lowry -- he's great!

Tao of JKD is very useful in developing a good combative outlook, not to mention it's filled with useful info and tactics. Lot's of stuff to think about and easily integratable into your overall game plan.

Living the Martial Way is really a tretise on developing a warrior outlook and training in a way to cultivate that spirit. It's really good for reaching beyond just "doing" ma's and making them part of you.

My Way of Life is both a great historical perspective and a charater study of one of the modern pioneers. Really a nice look at what goes into the education of a warrior and the committmet it requires.

Secrets of the Samurai is entirly historical. But very good and complete. You'll learn alot.

The classics are more for training your mind to think in a combative and martial pattern than anything specific to ma's. The picture books are just ones that brought good elements to my game and presented them well.