• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello and kick question

oneheart

As far as conditioning goes, if that's your thing, then I respect that. It isn't all for me, though.

Besides that, if you can wear a pair of steel-toed boots....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel-toed boots would definitely add some impact to a front snap kick. In addition, women should never under estimate the effectiveness of their fashionable shoes.

Tallgeese is right on with the time-benefit analysis; while it's awesome to kick through boards with your toe, or stand and take it like a champ when getting pummeled by a baseball bat, there are just too many other things in life to enjoy besides training your body for that type punishment. Especially since other techniques may be nearly as effective and much easier to learn.

This could easily be a new thread when it comes to conditioning. But really as more of a general question, of how deeply is it worth studying a particular style of MA? To be continued...

Yeah, but what are you using the kick for?

One application I considered was that Muay Thai fighters and Boxers as well as some untrained fighters use a high guard with their hands, keeping both arms up near the face, some Krav Maga guys do this to. As fast as the front snap kick can be and because it can come in low I would think I might have a chance from a front or "seisan" stance as we call it in Isshinryu sometimes, to get up onder the guard and plug the ball of the foot into the stomach, or the solar plexus. Does this sound like a reasonable application? In the Seisan kata, I have imagined this as bunkai for the katas snap kicks, possible bunkai, I am still learning the kata.

Yes, I have heard its use for the groin. I also considered though a slightly altered groin attack. Similar to the snap kick, but the ankle is bent down like in a round house, so that the instep comes straight up. The instep smashes into the BOTTOM of the groin, and you deliver the attack between the legs hard, as though you wanted to lift the opponet up. Does this sound like a feesable technique?

The problem with using the front snap (off of the front leg) to kick into the solar plexus is that you just don't have a lot of power in that particular kick. You'd be giving you foot to the other fighter, not much fun if he absorbs the kick & grabs hold of you. Off of the rear leg there is ample power as it shifts your body weight forward, & it will definately hurt who ever you're fighting.

For front leg snap kicks, I'd stick to the hip & lower as a way to keep distance & throw off their foot work.

I'd agree with that; groin, shin, knee.

That's about it for the front kick off the front leg realistically. Even then, it's best to think of it in terms of a distractionary device or stop hitting tool not an attack designed to throw out lots of damage.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd agree with that; groin, shin, knee.

That's about it for the front kick off the front leg realistically. Even then, it's best to think of it in terms of a distractionary device or stop hitting tool not an attack designed to throw out lots of damage.

Let's not forget the thigh at least. Not only if you use the heel can you shock the thigh and give them a charley horse, but depending on the angle you can also destroy their balance. The savate chasse bas is a good example of that.

Not only can you hit straight on into the thigh as they show in the video, but if you're at an angle you can strike the inner thigh and take away the balance of that leg as well as causing that shock.[/i]

Ah, yes. Very nice. Bringing the target up like that does look good. Some bag work may be in line for some exploration of that technique. Thanks for sharing, Kuma. :)