• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pull Over gi's

Why do most korean styles use Pull over uniforms?

I was always wondering that...thats one of the reasons why I never really got to big into the korean martial arts, was because of the pull over uniforms.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Three reasons come to mind:

It does not come undone during training.

The fabric discourages starching which artificially enhances the "snap" of the uniform.

It distinguishes TKD from other arts simply by it's design.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Three reasons come to mind:

It does not come undone during training.

The fabric discourages starching which artificially enhances the "snap" of the uniform.

It distinguishes TKD from other arts simply by it's design.

8)

oooh How does the fabric discourage the starch...is it an all together different material than most japanese gi's?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

And let's face it, if you're going for a uniform during, it's probilby easier to work out in that a Japaneese gi. No overlap, no drawsting ties. Yeah, if I ever went back to a uni on a regular basis, I'd really think about adopting it for general work.

I have yet to see one that would hold up to hard gi grappling however.

I thought the pull-over doboks came from the traditional Korean hanbok.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have read that as well. I don't know how accurate that is, but I imagine it is close. I do think having it seperate TKD from the Karate gi is one reason it was introduced.

Doesn't the ITF wear the ones that tie across, though? They always looked like it, and the uniforms that I wear are always the tie across types.

Why do most korean styles use Pull over uniforms?

I was always wondering that...thats one of the reasons why I never really got to big into the korean martial arts, was because of the pull over uniforms.

I wouldn't let the type of uniform distract me from taking a style. Even though I have always participated in styles that wear some type of uniform like the gi/dobok in my training, I prefer to wear something more comfortable and less restrictive, like shorts and a T-shirt (preferably a KC Chiefs T-shirt...;)). At any rate, the uniform would be the least of my concerns when looking into studying a style. The material learned is tantamount.

I have read that as well. I don't know how accurate that is, but I imagine it is close. I do think having it seperate TKD from the Karate gi is one reason it was introduced.

They do look pretty similar. Would make sense seeing as they'd want to promote Korean culture rather than Japanese.

Doesn't the ITF wear the ones that tie across, though? They always looked like it, and the uniforms that I wear are always the tie across types.

Nah they don't tie across, they're meant to look like it though. They overlap a little but instead of a tie they usually have a zip or velcro. Stops it coming undone but still keeps it looking a bit like a gi.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I hate the pull over uniforms. The ones that tie tend to stay in place much better for me. The pull over ones tend to billow out over the top of my belt after just a few minutes, so I'm constantly adjusting them.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

My school is pretty relaxed on uniform issues so the students pretty much have a choice on style and color. I like the V-neck pullover for forms and drills just because I sweat a lot and have a hairy chest. If the plan for the day is Jui-Jitsu, I'll wear a traditional heavyweight or Judo style gi for ease in throws and other techniques.

Nah they don't tie across, they're meant to look like it though. They overlap a little but instead of a tie they usually have a zip or velcro. Stops it coming undone but still keeps it looking a bit like a gi.

Ah, so they are cleverly disguised.... :P I learned something new today, then. Thanks, DWx.