• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kobudo What does it mean?...

Kubodo is something that is taught with karate. Find a karate dojo, and ask the instructor for private lessons on the sai. That's way you wont learn anything but what you wanna learn.

I don't find this to be practical advice. Nor do I think most Sensei would take you up on it.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here, I would argue the level of practicality of each of the weapons. Staff, sure, because one might find a stick lying around in varying lengths; brooms, rakes, etc. Maybe knowing the eku would be beneficial here as well, with the extra weight on one end.

Sai or kama, I wouldn't be so sure. Nor nuchaku. Now, if someone wants to spend time learning weapons like that, I think it is great. I've spent plenty of time learning weapons with not much modern practicality (sword and shield come to mind) just for the fun of it. But, when it comes to managing your time for serious self-defense training, then you might need to pick and choose what you focus on more stringently.

Edited by bushido_man96

• 1 month later...

Sai or kama, I would be so sure. Nor nuchaku. Now, if someone wants to spend time learning weapons like that, I think it is great. I've spent plenty of time learning weapons with not much modern practicality (sword and shield come to mind) just for the fun of it. But, when it comes to managing your time for serious self-defense training, then you might need to pick and choose what you focus on more stringently.

I beg to differ on sai, they've saved my rear before...

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Sai or kama, I would be so sure. Nor nuchaku. Now, if someone wants to spend time learning weapons like that, I think it is great. I've spent plenty of time learning weapons with not much modern practicality (sword and shield come to mind) just for the fun of it. But, when it comes to managing your time for serious self-defense training, then you might need to pick and choose what you focus on more stringently.

I beg to differ on sai, they've saved my rear before...

I'd be interested to hear how they were deployed and used. :)

Kubodo is something that is taught with karate. Find a karate dojo, and ask the instructor for private lessons on the sai. That's way you wont learn anything but what you wanna learn.

I don't find this to be practical advice. Nor do I think most Sensei would take you up on it.

I'd say...NO! To much must be learnt before one's instructed in Kobudo, especially the sai. Sorry!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 months later...

it seems like what traymond is asking is what our opinion on Kobudo is...he is not looking for a explanation of the base of Kobudo. I think he wants to know what you think of it on a spiritual or regular base. Like do we think its practical to learn etc etc.

• 3 years later...

Ko Budo means Great or Senior Martial Way. It is that, a training for senior students done by a qualified Martial artist. If you are a master of Karate, it does not mean that you can practice authentic Ko Budo, it is a style in it's own right. Okinawan Ko Budo is the traditional way, now lost in the themes of cheap martial art movies. Bruce Lee was good with Nunchaku, but it took Sensei Demura to teach him to perform them properly.

Look to the far mountain and see all.