• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kobudo What does it mean?...

So I have had the liberty of being taught that Kobudo when broken down means "Way of the old Warrior"...how true this is, in terms of mental and spiritual aspects I do not know. Thats why i Created this, and would like to hear every ones point of view since my whole theory on this is just as what I said...an educated theory. Do you consider Kobudo to be a look into the past (If done correctly and traditionally not XMA style)...or do you look at it as a nonsense approach of the martial arts, and that it is an unneeded item to martial arts in terms of self defense?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert in another language or how to translate it, nor am I privy to a traditional look at what all is included when one talks about kobudo. That said, for a typical look at what it encompasses, the above link was pretty good.

I think to most of us not heavily into trad weapons, the term just encompasses weapons training. It's practicality has more to do with what you're training with than anything.

I think that if you're persuing it for traditions sake, or keep the old ways alive, then that's pretty much the final answer for you, and a pretty good one. If you're training with sd in mind, it's probibly unneeded and a time killer when in comes to messing with trad weapons.

For those applications, there are pleaty of weapons you can and should be training with and against. Knives, clubs, guns primarily. I don't know if that kobudo or not. Probibly not in an actual translation. Maybe in our western thought.

Ah Yes that is a pretty good explanation.

I think about the only kobudo weapon that can be entered into self defense would probably be the bo and the jo, I think thats why Alot of people start off with it, but it does seem to be around for the sake of tradition mostly.

As a Okinawan stylist who's deeply encroached in the art of Kobudo, I agree with the translation of "old martial way of Okinawa". With that being said...on a more personal note...Kobudo to me is nothing more than an extension of my body; nothing more, therefore, nothing less.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

..Kobudo to me is nothing more than an extension of my body; nothing more, therefore, nothing less.

:)

I think So as well. Thats why when learning the bo, they make you return to the base dynamics and mechanics of a punch.

Hmmm I will learn what ever I can be taught...And I am already a practiconer of kobudo. Been one for quite some time, I just want to know what everyone elses point of view on Kobudo and what the name means.

I have never heard the actual translation of Kobudo, but those above sound reasonable.

I think in terms of practice, if you like to learn about older weapon styles, then it is worthwhile. I don't gravitate to the usage of old Okinawan weaponary, but more towards those of the West, long sword, quarterstaff, sword and buckler, dagger combat, various polearms, and trusty options like the ax and the mace.

But, like tallgeese mentions, if you are looking for some more practical modes of self-defense, looking to more common weapons of the today, like the knife, stick, and gun, is the way to go. But, it depends on the goal, too.

• 1 month later...

Ko = old, ancient

Bu = Made up of 2 characters that together basicaly mean stop fight

Do = Way

Nishiuchi Sensei has and excelent breakdown here:

Note: Kobudo by itself does not indicate Okinawa or any other lineage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobudo

RyuKyu Kobudo indicates Okinawan lineage

(RyuKyu = Chain of islands that Okinawa is a part of.)

Kobudo on mainland Japan could also refer to the Koryu arts.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth