• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about first gi

JamesO

Hi everyone

I've been reading for about six weeks and wanted to ask a question about some MTI Swift 14 oz. gi pants I received tonight, traditional draw string. I started boxing a year ago for fitness, which led me to thai, which has led me to wanting to do a traditional, belted art, and this is my first set of gi pants.

They're huge. Really huge. The size is right according to the height/weight chart, but the waist on these things is 49 inches. I'm 5'9", 180, with a 32" waist. I washed the pants hoping they'd shrink, synched the draw string as tight as I could, and they're still loose and uncomfortable. Loose around the waist, and sagging in the hips/crotch. Is this how karate gi's are supposed to fit?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wear mine a bit loose like that. But its not 8 sizes bigger...I have a 34 waist but I wear a size 6 in gi pants.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Some places that sell the gi's such as ebogu and shureido (just examples), if the gi's dont fit than they will gladly have you return yours for a smaller size...not sure how their policy goes indefinately but thats just a smaller description of some places.

I was thinking about either the Shureido or Tokaido gi's, but they're pretty pricey. It's a kenpo-esq style, and the starter gi's are traditional chinese with the elastic ankles. We're allowed to wear any black gi or gi pant/plain black shirt combo we'd like, and I like the pants/shirt route.

Juka actually lists all of their size measurements on their page, and their pants in my size have a 39" waist. Significantly different!

http://jukadragon.com/uniform/jukapurchase.htm#sizeG&S

Juka is an ok brand, especially starting off. And the price wasn't to bad either.

I am about 5'.5" and 169 to 170 lb's. and I wear a size 4 gi. The pants are always to long and big, I wash and dry them even though your not suppose to but it works for me.

My husband is about the same size as you 5'.9" and 175 lb's. he also orders a size 4 gi.

you know, I'm a 5'3" and 24" waist myself and I've often encountered that same problem. It seems like when things fit length wise they tend to billow out at my gut region. I mean, your gi pants should be a little lose before being pulled tight, but I think those pants you described sound just plain too big for you.

Personally, I find there are certain brands that have cuts that fit better on thinner-waisted people. I would recommend the following if you decide to purchase another gi:

1. 10 oz KI - Mugen Orange Label

This one is pretty much the best slim-fitting medium weight gi I've ever worn for under $40. I'd highly recommend it.

2. 13.74 oz KI - Mugen Yellow Label

This is more like the weight of the one you described and It's only about $60.

But if you're interested in a more expensive gi all of these are generally tighter-waisted and can actually be custom ordered for your size (though you'll have to convert into centimeters):

3. Hirota

4. Tokaido

5. Mizuno

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Thanks for the options, Shizentai. My Juka came in last night. It fits great, and it's reasonably comfortable. The jacket is stiff! Hanging on a hanger, the arms stick straight out. I'm sure it will break in nicely after a few sessions. It's much nicer than the student gi's from my school.