• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm with sensei8 on this one. If you have a guy counter by stepping out and dropping his center, he'll probibly working your hands down as well for control. He's not going to have alot to stop him.

Step back when his center is sufficiently low, rake the head back hard and plant him. It's easy, takes little effort on energy and will have the bonus of landing you in a pretty good position for multiple stratigies from there.

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Someone tried to use ura nage against me today during randori after I messed up a tai otoshi. I sunk my weight down and turned around to escape; ultimately ending back in the staring position. To dispel any illusions of grandeur, they got me shorty after with something else. : p

It's a great throw though- I think that the gi makes it a bit harder to get in close enough as opposed to doing it while wrestling/no gi grappling; but for me personally I've found it really useful (along with the single leg) when either me or my sparring partner misses a technique and ends up within grabbing range of the other person.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt