• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dont Drop Your Belt...

I don't care whatever the reason might've been because it was wrong! Bottom line and I'd take him to task on this very issue...so would many, many others.

Don't ever strike a student in anger/disapproval/anything!!!!!!! Instructor's are suppose to set positive examples for their students...but striking/kicking/whatever because a student dropped their belt! Give me a break!

It's one thing for an instructor to be deeply encroached in their own beliefs as well as their traditions, I don't fault that, what I fault is the solution because his student dropped their obi. Verbally discipline, at the best, but, physical discipline is never warranted/tolerated/acceptable. If it is...tell me where it's at so that I can warn everyone that this is a Dojo/school to avoid at all costs.

I've been doing this for over 44 years and I've dropped my belt from time to time. Why? BECAUSE I'M NOT PERFECT, in any shape, way, and/or form. I'm the furthest thing from being perfect...and...so is everyone else on the planet earth. Therefore, I guarantee that this sensei has dropped his obi a few times himself whether in plain view and/or in private. My obi means everything to me, IN ITS PROPER PLACE, and nowhere else at any time/day.

IT'S JUST A BELT!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...Traymond...it's been almost a week. Any resolution on this?

Kinda curious. So little information to go on...this 'Motomoni' of an unknown style...located where? Can't help but wonder about the teacher, or school. Your posts seem to indicate a karate and kobudo curriculum.

Another thread states you are going for 5th kyu in Kajukempo. I assume because you are a nidan under Motomoni, you are studying different arts concurrently and have different dojos/teachers/styles for comparison?

Leaves fall.

When we sign up to learn from him, he makes us sign a waiver...that no damage done to anyone in the dojo is relevant to his liability...so if we get hurt no matter what the cause is (Unless it ends up in death), we are responsible for it not him.

A waiver can only do so much. Even with a waiver signed, lawsuits can still ensue, and can still be won. Especially in cases of negligence, and in a case like this, where the incident is cleary not an accident in training.

When we sign up to learn from him, he makes us sign a waiver...that no damage done to anyone in the dojo is relevant to his liability...so if we get hurt no matter what the cause is (Unless it ends up in death), we are responsible for it not him.

A waiver can only do so much. Even with a waiver signed, lawsuits can still ensue, and can still be won. Especially in cases of negligence, and in a case like this, where the incident is cleary not an accident in training.

How can it be proven that it was not an accidental training incident?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

It comes down to each side presenting their case, with each side bringing an attorney to argue for them. If this man is a man of honor, then I don't think he would actually lie about what happened in the school.

There is a lot of talk in this thread about what is or isn't traditional. I don't think that instructors taking shots at students to prove a point is a part of "traditional" training. Things like discipline and self-control usually fall under the character traits of "traditional" styles. Kicking a student while bent over to "teach" them not to drop their belt does not pertain to any of these traits, in my view. It looks more like abuse of power to me.

His training method is this particular part was to show me the line of "chaos".

Step one your drop your belt, step two your bend down to get your belt, step three, you should have always been looking...this was a way that he explained it to me as well, but also he told me that I should not have dropped my belt, and this would serve as a disciplinary action, because he knew that there was not another way he could discipline me. He could suspend me from class, but I go to four other classes. he could make me do push ups but yet I would enjoy them more than anything. So. if you had a student that could not be disciplined in any of your ways, what would you do?

I don't buy that at all. Does that mean that everytime a student turns around in class, then it is ok to take a shot at them? There are better, more constructive ways to teach this skill, I think.

It should teach you to be aware....Are we aware all the time...no...but should we be...thats a matter of opinion Im afraid.

I think awareness is a good thing. But, taking free shots at your students everytime they turn around is not a good way to teach it. They'll become paranoid as opposed to aware, I think. I think it falls under the abuse of power.

i think...exactly...it is still a matter of opinion. Just as is everything I have said about my teacher in a defense.