• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dont Drop Your Belt...

Good quote from the book...it was a good book. I actually own it. Expensive piece of literature if you ask me.

Anyways.

Thats one point of view...from the author...how do we know that his own way and the way he speaks of rei is not the wrong point of view...since this is a book, by a japanese man, but I have had the chance to train with many japanese instructors in and out of Japan/okinawa. So I will tend to take my own personal experiences over that of a book written by a man that I have not yet met.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways. Thats one point of view...from the author....

And it would appear, the view point of many other martial artists in this forum who maybe... have had the benefit of a few more years of existence on this mortal coil. ;)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I know the difference between a man who holds the rank Hoshi, and a man who doesn't.

Such as a man who has the rank of Hanshi, and not of Renshi. I put my point of view in the higher ranks, of Hoshi and Hanshi. Those are my terms of the difference between a teacher of lessons and a master.

And it is true that alot of these people here have alot more experience in life than I do. But just because they do have more experience in life does not exactly mean they have more experience in martial arts or in the point of views of other teaching styles, its simple a point of view, a person who has no martial arts background can have a point of view on what he or she thinks bout the instructor.

Hmmm dont get me started on shogo!!

And btw "hoshi" is a title usually reserved for a monk!!!

Yes I know what hoshi is

thank you.

He is a hoshi.

And it is true that alot of these people here have alot more experience in life than I do. But just because they do have more experience in life does not exactly mean they have more experience in martial arts or in the point of views of other teaching styles, its simple a point of view, a person who has no martial arts background can have a point of view on what he or she thinks bout the instructor.

Ahh but thats where you are wrong. To fully understand the process takes life experience.

Technical ability - not so

Mental ability - Maybe

Undertanding of the "ura" or underlying purpose for training - Takes a few more years I am affraid.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Questions are just part of the normal process of delving into why we train.

Good luck in your training. Personally, I think no matter the path or teacher, or the door that we initially go through, that we all (can) get to the same place.

Personally, I'll skip the 'budo' and go for the 'kodo'.

Leaves fall.

Intentionally or not, he injured your shoulder. And if it dislocated, you'll want to get it checked out by an MD. Intent or not, it's unacceptable in my book.

I agree, control your anger, and then walk out. There's training to fight, or be a warrior, or however you want to phrase it and then there's behavior that is counter productive to the whole process.

That's what I think at least.