• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tameshiwari Baseball Bat

Has any one ever attempted to break a baseball bat with their forearm using a twisting/snapping motion? I am training to do it now, because my goal is to be able to break one on my 25th birthday, I have about 6 years left to practice it, I have been practicing it for the past three months and I notice alot more strength in my blocks because of the calcium deposits on my forearm now, (The welts are all gone and the callouses are thicker). I notice how Kiyohide Shinjo and his son break them, and I was wondering if any of the American goju ryu, Kyokyushin, and Uechi practicioners do any hard core breaking as such?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never tried it, and I don't know if I would want to. If I break my arm, I don't go to work, and therefore, don't get paid. So, I think I'll stick with the regular boards for now.

I have seen it done with shin kicks, but not with the forearm. It look cool when you do it, though.

Well im training right now for it, so I plan to be extremely well conditioned in the forearms. So I hopefully do not break my arm...but either way I will tape it and post it here if and (hopefully so) this site is still booming in six years. because It would be cool, haha.

Breaking a bat with your forearm is going to take some extreme conditioning. How exactly are you training for it? You'll want a good instructor teaching you, doing tameshiwari and body conditioning without proper instruction is just asking for big time trouble. Not to mention it's usually counterproductive.

I have a rubber mallet that im striking my forearms with, and im using my shins to condition them with on someone elses hip/quadricep.

Rubber mallet? Ouch. Definitely wouldn't recommend that. You'd be much much better off doing kote kitae with a partner. Pounding on your bones with something like a mallet is a bad idea.

I'd second the bad idea theory.

Remember that at the end of the day, breaking might be cool, it might demonstrate power, but it's still kind of a parlor trick. It has little actual coorelation to defending one's self.

You'll have to function in the years to come. Not to mention train in the short term. Injury won't help that.

I don't know what other drills you can do. I havent' broken more than a few odd boards here and there over the years. But I don't think that a mallet to the forearm is a good idea for long term health.

That said, to each his own.

Hmmm maybe a rubber mallet was the wrong word choice to use. Its not a real hammer in sense of pounding nails...its a softer rubber mallet...I dont benefit much from kote Kitae any more since their is no one that wants to do it with me anymore. So the only kitae practice I have is with inanimate objects such as a door, ring sizer, and rubber mallet in example, but if you guys have any other ideas on stuff that I can hit please let me know.

I'd second the bad idea theory.

Remember that at the end of the day, breaking might be cool, it might demonstrate power, but it's still kind of a parlor trick. It has little actual coorelation to defending one's self.

You'll have to function in the years to come. Not to mention train in the short term. Injury won't help that.

I don't know what other drills you can do. I havent' broken more than a few odd boards here and there over the years. But I don't think that a mallet to the forearm is a good idea for long term health.

That said, to each his own.

Im very aware that breaking is just some what a parlor trick, thats why I chose the baseball bat, because it shows true strength not fake strength, its a momentum strength. And if you can use a momentous blow from your forearm, it would be beneficial.

I was always told the best way to train for breaking is to break. You start at paper thin stuff as a beginner and then as the years go by you work upwards to multiple boards / thicker boards. You can't just jump in and try to break the heavy stuff straight off. Maybe try breaking some lighter materials in the same way you'd break a bat?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius