• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Anger is the enemy..." or is it?

bushido_man96

sorry this is just a view from my own struggle to control my emotions.

The level of control over emotions would definately vary from individual to individual.

Would there be less chance of hitting a wall if you werent angry?

bushido_man96 - you've got me thinking bout this one, i'll see if i can find some studies about anger rage and emotional control...

I'm thinking back to past incidents where I have "raged" and caused damage to myself and the environment around me but I have never hurt anyone - could this be a certain level of control?

hmmm very interesting.

Hell, I hit walls all the time when I am happy. But it isn't considered out of control then, is it? So, why would it have to be different when hitting a wall out of anger?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case it wouldn't be considered out of control if you have the same level of control during both emotions or all emotions.

I have also seen on the net various sites praising positive anger and the advantages of using it, a good case is sensei8's son.

You seem to have very good control over your emotions, but there are those who dont and I think there could be bad consequences if anger is used. I'm sure these people would know what their level of control is and wouldn't attempt to use anger in a dojo setting, but you never know :D

By meanig hitting a wall, you dont mean punch a hole in it do you?

Fixing holes is quite expensive :kaioken:

Anger is a natural human emotion. From society, we learn how to express it in an appropriate manner. I might be angry and let the person know I didn't appreciate what was said/done, or be angry and make a formal complaint. I might even be angry about an injustice and go to court.

Bottling up an emotion like anger causes seething, leading to an ongoing feeling of being upset. Anger can also be a factor in choosing not to forgive another individual, as in the case of a person called a "moral unforgiver." Such a person will forgive only if the individual who committed the offense will admit to having done it and apologizes. No admission of responsibility by the other, no apology given, so no forgiveness. (This is much different from a grudge, in which someone did something accidentally, apologized, and yet is not forgiven.) It keeps a tense atmosphere, but it's up to the offender, as the moral unforgiver remains angry not only at the offense but at the injustice or, less tactfully, the pig-headedness.

This can cause a problem if contained within a school. Fellow students should have a camaraderie, congratulating one another upon a promotion, winning a trophy, etc. If a student plays the bully and causes an incident, and this is not handled properly by the instructor, the one who was on the receiving end will be, and can often remain, angry with the bully. When anger separates the students, often the thought is that it'll blow over, but don't always count on it. I think the situation become more difficult to deal with if not handled ASAP.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

In that case it wouldn't be considered out of control if you have the same level of control during both emotions or all emotions.

I have also seen on the net various sites praising positive anger and the advantages of using it, a good case is sensei8's son.

You seem to have very good control over your emotions, but there are those who dont and I think there could be bad consequences if anger is used. I'm sure these people would know what their level of control is and wouldn't attempt to use anger in a dojo setting, but you never know :D

By meanig hitting a wall, you dont mean punch a hole in it do you?

Fixing holes is quite expensive :kaioken:

No, I don't put many holes in walls. Just one so far....wife wasn't pleased with that one, either... :brow:

But, by and large, I don't think it shows a lack of control on either of the emotions. I don't think that if someone should use emotional (or loss thereof) control as an excuse to say they lost control of their actions.