• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Anger is the enemy..." or is it?

bushido_man96

This topic has popped up elsewhere, and I feel that it is worthy of its own thread.

What is everyone's feeling on anger, and its place in training? Do you try to avoid anger? Do you view it as an emotion that should be suppressed? Do you try to channel it and use it?

Personally, I think that anger can be chanelled and used in a very good way. Anger can be very motivating. It can drive one, I feel. When it arises, I like to channel my energy with my anger, and work to use it to fuel myself onward. But, I feel that a major factor in the use of anger is control. I think that one can be angry, and be in control. I think that many feel this is not the case, but I do.

What are your thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if anger can be seen as a motivator, but also viewed as a liability if it leads to rash actions. Anger can be channeled into aggression, and being a focused, aggressive fighter is a plus.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think it's a channeling thing. Let's face it, we all get angry. In fact, there are times we should be angry. The question came up on the other thread about how you could control it, that you're either angry or not. True. So if it's itme to be angry that ok. You just have to understand that it's a normal reaction and deal with it.

You've just been attacked, you are supposed to be 1)afraid, and 2) angry. Both of these are normal. Overcoming both and using them to 1)heightnen awarness and kick in your flight or fight and 2) bring about the mindset that you will win no matter what; respectively, is the key.

Anger has nothing to do with winning or losing a battle. It has to do with adapting you're mindset to the situation. That is where you're starting to effect things. Too little reaction and you'll fight less than optimally; too much and you risk stepping over the line from defese to aggressor.

Control of these things during conflict, that's part of the point of conditioning ourselves to violence. In training, outright anger on the mat has no place. It impededs learining and can endanger yourself and others as well as risk expulsion. But you must train with feeling, with intent. Work thru those emotions during your practice time, that's how you start developing control.

We have to accept what we all are as animals and what emotions drive us in what situations to ever hope to be able to manage them during high stress condtions. This includes anger and fear.

On the fear front, I highly reccomend Gavin DeBeckers books staring with "The Gift of Fear" and then moving to his other works.

I am no expert, But

I believe that anger is only a stimulant for your adrenaline, you tend to feel less pain and you can be come more agressive, but their should be a line between right in between anger altogether. If you go to far you could get twenty to life... :o

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Yes, but that is why controlling the anger is important. Anger isn't the only emotion that gets out of control; believe me, I see enough crying, wimpering people to know.

I don't think that anger has a direct link to adrenaline. I can be angry, and not have an adrenaline dump. However, if I get pushed over the edge, I can get an adrenaline dump, and then get angry. They can happen together, but they don't have too.

I don't think that anger has a direct link to adrenaline. I can be angry, and not have an adrenaline dump. However, if I get pushed over the edge, I can get an adrenaline dump, and then get angry. They can happen together, but they don't have too.

I agree that there is a huge difference between being angry and being fueled by adrenaline. I have seen people get angry during sparring, and their technique goes right out the window.Whereas if you are fueled by adrenaline you can still maintain control. :karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

I agree that there is a huge difference between being angry and being fueled by adrenaline. I have seen people get angry during sparring, and their technique goes right out the window.Whereas if you are fueled by adrenaline you can still maintain control. :karate:

But what about in terms of strength?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I'm not sure that being angry makes you stronger or not (unless your the Hulk...). Adrenaline can, though. However, I don't think that there is a correlation between anger and adrenaline.

I do think that it is possible to spar when angry, and to maintain control over your techniques. Like anything, it may take time to adapt to this, but like I mentioned before, it is a matter of channelling it properly.

I just feel that we as martial artists should be able to control our emotions in a real situation better than most people. Thus not getting angry, remaining calm even in the face of adversity, but that's just my opinion.

Semper Fi , Dave