• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to karate - What gumshield?

garrym

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any brand will do in a pinch. But, you'll learn pretty quick which you like the best.

I'll recommend the Shock Doctor brand with either the gel max or the power gel ultra models. The gel filled versions seeme to allow a much better fit. Just be careful when forming them not to bite all the way through them as you form them.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I've heard good things about the Shockdoctor's. Another route to go is to get one specially fitted by the dentist. I had one done a couple of years ago and it fits really well.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Dental fittin mouth pieces are the way to go. Except when it comes to cost. I'm lucky that my uncle is a dentist and he got me a double guard for what the insurance paid for it.

I've had nothing but good experience with Shock Doc stuff. I hear really good things about Brain Pad too, but I've never used one, so I hate to recommend them.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I use the free hand out ones from the orthodontist that i go to...they are the best because they are free, I cannot see myself going in and trying to buy one when I can get them for free...so what if their rough...haha

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I second getting one professionally fitted.

A good mouthpeice will do more than just keep your teeth in your mouth and lips from getting cut up. It will also help prevent concussions. It's a good reason to spend the money.

Not to mention, they are way more comfortable when custom fitted. If you want to start with a over the counter model to find out how much you're going to like ma then that's a good idea. Once you detemine you're in for the long haul, it's a good idea to get one built by a pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went for the o-pro and I think I will quickly move top a shock doctor, it just is not comfortable.

I am having dental work done in the next few months and my dentist has offered to make me one and a replacement for £50 once that is done.

I have got my first gi, my first mouthgaurd and now my first injury since last posting, cracked a finger with a bad block on Thursday night :lol: