• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defending straight-line attacks...

I actually prefer to go to the inside. As long as you can keep the pressure on them from the inside, their weapons can be checked. As long as you continue hitting them, you can drive them straight backwards. It'll actually be to the side for them, so you can end a fight quickly. The outside is a great place to be there, especially with their back toward you.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to mix it up. Depending on the situation, I'll either go inside, parry/counter or use a circular defense. But once I create an opening on my target I roll from defense to offense and the offense doesn't start rolling. I like to try to switch randomly from linear to circular to angular and vice-versa. It keeps me fluid and unpredictable...of course I need to practice it more though. The more I practice Isshinryu, the more linear and one-hit oriented I've been getting.

When defending straight-line attacks, like straight punches, side kicks, or front kicks, do you usually find yourself moving to the inside of the technique to defend, where you then might have to worry about other limbs, or to the outside of the attack, where you can be away from the other weapons for a brief time? Where do you naturally go, and what do you work towards?

I'd love to hear any ideas and suggestions.

It is a mixture. Depending on which side I am comfortable with to move.

There is a time and a place for both movements. MA i find is alot like chess where you have to plan your actions three or four moves in advance

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

I usually move to the inside, if it's a straight punch I step inside, block if I need to and counter attack. If it's a front kick I move to the outside and counter, but I mainly preferr inside.

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me